Chocolate Coffee Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale SO4
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packets
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Came out with a strong coffee presence but no harsh coffee flavor.
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 8.0 oz Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.8 %
2 lbs Brown Malt (home roasted from Maris Otter) (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.1 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
10.4 oz Dark Crystal (165.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
8.0 oz CaraBrown (55.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.5 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Briess) (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.5 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.5 %
1.50 oz Nugget [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 34.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Nugget [11.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 16.8 IBUs
1.6 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25.00 ml] Yeast 10 -
1 lbs Belgian Candi Syrup Dark (90.0 SRM) Sugar 11 5.0 %

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 51.6 IBUs Calories: 245.3 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 34.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs 14.4 oz
Sparge Water: 6.14 gal Grain Temperature: 35.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 65.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Rest Add 6.14 gal of water at 134.2 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Decoct 2.88 gal of mash and boil it 156.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 6.14 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Two step profile with a protein rest for mashes with unmodified grains or adjuncts.

Notes: I mashed high to counteract the D90 syrup addition (late addition not truly after the boil). I had won a bunch of syrup due to a homebrew comp and thought it'd go well in this beer. It added a nice layer of complexity. In the boil I added 1oz each of hershey cocoa regular and extra dark. Then in secondary I took 8oz of coffee beans. It was a blend of a malawi, tanzanian peaberry, and sumatra beans. I bought them at the local roaster. Any coffee you like should work. I then added cold water to my french press and let it sit on my counter top for a few days while the beer fermented. Then I added the press pot coffee to the fermentor as it finished up and began to condition. I bottle conditioned with malt extract. One thing about using the cocoa. I found my cocoa wasn't sufficiently settled out and a lot settled in the bottle. It's like a chocolately surprise so if you bottle condition this beer swirl the last bit like a hefe and toss it in you glass. You'll be glad you did.

Also I'd like to mention. I sent this to a friend who loves Founders Breakfast Stout. While this isn't as high an ABV he has been talking this beer up as the best thing since sliced bread. I really like it and will probably continue to brew this fairly regularly. So if you like a strong coffee flavor with nice roasty components this is a nice recipe to try.

"I then added cold water to my french press and let it sit on my counter top for a few days while the beer fermented."

I'm thinking about adding a single espresso bean to each bottle. Did you have any nasty tastes come through using the coffee depending on the coffee's used? Am I correct that you didn't grind the beans, you just soaked them? I'm assuming that not brewing the coffee wouldn't extract the oils, just the flavor. [My theory anyway.]

Thanks for the thoughts. Cheers.

Back