Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Cherry Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #61
DerekV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Bottled my version this past weekend. Used black cherry juice and roasted cacao nibs in the secondary. Crashed in the fridge for a couple days to help clear. Tasted fantastic going into the bottles. The oatmeal in the mash really gave it a great mouthfeel...hoping this one ages out well! I stole 1 gallon from bottling and put it into a small carboy with oak cubes and bourbon, stashing it away for a few months before I even think about bottling it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #62
DerekV
Recipes 

Unlike the porter I did previously, this stout has carbed in the bottles after just one week. It's absolutely exactly what I wanted it to be. The cherry flavor is still a little green, but once this rests for a month it will be fantastic. I used the base stout recipe to brew another batch this weekend, but I'm using black raspberry juice instead, Special B in place of the British crystal malt and a Belgian Trappist yeast...should make a nice Belgian Stout hybrid.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #63
abifolck
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys. I'm excited to give this recipe a try. What's the rationale for adding the cherry juice to the primary a few days into fermentation, instead of right at the beginning?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #64
kevokie
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This looks great, I'm going to have to give it a try.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #65
blitzcreeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just lost my father. He wanted me to do a black cherry stout for him. He was just beginning to get into the craft beer world thanks to my brother and I. I am now dedicated to making a black cherry stout until I get it to perfection. I'm going to start with this recipe and change things if needed until it is perfect. Thanks for recipe.. Cheers

experience cannot be taught

Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
esullrich
Recipes 

I will be brewing this with a few friends in a few days. We have both cherry puree, and syrup. Anyone have any thoughts as to which would be better, and how much to use?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #67
blitzcreeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd use the puree personally. How much really depends on how much cherry u want to come through. Maybe start with a lb a gallon? Fruits do fade.
I used what the recipe called for, but next time I'd up it. I also changed the recipe and turned it into a belgian stout. If your going to stick with the recipe one thing I would surely change would be coa coa in the boil.
This beer does age very well so try to keep a 12 er to try once a month.

experience cannot be taught

Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #68
motorhead69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Brewed this up a month ago. It needs to age a little bit more but is quite tasty. I'm hoping it will be ready for my homebrew club's Xmas party in a month.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #69
KeepCalmBrewOn
Recipes 

I brewed this last weekend and racked to secondary on top of the vanilla beans and an entire can of cherry puree. My OG was 1.070 and had decreased to 1.016 when I measured right before transferring to secondary. Its been 48 hours since I racked it and I have seen no airlock activity. Will I see any further signs of fermentation after adding the puree?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #70
turkeygecko
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmBrewOn View Post
I brewed this last weekend and racked to secondary on top of the vanilla beans and an entire can of cherry puree. My OG was 1.070 and had decreased to 1.016 when I measured right before transferring to secondary. Its been 48 hours since I racked it and I have seen no airlock activity. Will I see any further signs of fermentation after adding the puree?
You're going to have to take gravity readings. Secondary fermentation is often not vigorous enough to observe airlock activity, especially after 24 hours. Remember, you left the vast majority of the yeast in the primary carboy... secondary is mostly for aging.

That's why I chose to roll with cherry extract when I made this recipe and added it to primary a couple days into fermentation. I wanted to have plenty of lively yeast to chomp on the sugar added from the cherry extract.

Let me know how your batch turns out. I will let you know how mine works too.

What yeast did you use?

Cheers,
Drew

Quick Reply