Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Cherry Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
FirstStateBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here's my Chocolate Cherry Stout recipe! I brewed it last winter and liked it so much, I have another one fermenting right now!

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/30010/chocolate-cherry-stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Liked 1893 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magno View Post
I'm tickled that others are trying and liking the recipe!

Wild Ginger- I've made it with out the vanilla. The vanilla is only there to compliment the chocolate. You will be fine leaving it out all together.
It's pretty cool when others dig what you created. My Strawberry Blonde has gotten a lot of action on here too!

Thanks for the recipe and the info. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can anyone who has brewed this comment on the overall cherry flavor? I just want it as a hint. I brewed this a week and a half ago, and am getting ready to rack to secondary and add the cherry but I don't want to blow it out with to much cherry. 72oz seems like a lot of cherry...

Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
hopyard
Recipes 

I asked a similar question. I am still aging mine but I have tasted it. I used around 60oz of cherry concentrate and found it to be pleasant just like Magno said. I would say that mine is slightly more than a hint of cherry. I would say if you want a hint, then add 40-50 oz. For me however, if I was going to the trouble of making a chocolate cherry stout, I wanted to know the flavors were there.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by promontory
Can anyone who has brewed this comment on the overall cherry flavor? I just want it as a hint. I brewed this a week and a half ago, and am getting ready to rack to secondary and add the cherry but I don't want to blow it out with to much cherry. 72oz seems like a lot of cherry...
So you didnt add the cherry to primary like the recipe says? I am about to rack mine to secondary. I'll let you know how the cherry flavor is.

Without tasting this beer at all yet, i can make the following observation: unless this is the best beer i have ever tasted, i will not use cocoa powder again. I will convert to cocoa nibs. The powder is messy is hell and adding it to the primary after 4 days took forever. The opening in the carboy does not lend itself to powder very well. And even with a funnel, it got compacted and stuck a lot. Also due to the powder, it looks like chocolate milk. I'll know more when i rack, but i have a bad feeling that this is not going to turn out how i envisioned it. Live and learn. I'll update in a few hours.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #26
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Well i think i can honestly say i fvcked this beer up. I racked it and took a hydro reading. Tasted the sample. Blech! It did have a slight chocolatey aftertaste but no cherry at all. The color was darker once i got it off of all the chocolate powder. The biggest issue is that my reading was 1.029. So that sucks! Now that i have racked it off all of the ****e, im going to pitch another packet of s-05 and shake the hell out of it and see what happens! I dont have any s-05 though so i gotta stop by the lhbs tomorrow. Anyway, if it ends ul working out, i'll never be able to reproduce it i know that will be changing my recipe anyway so i guess it doesnt matter too much. All of the experimentation is one of the things i love most about brewing beer!

Edit: just pitched a packet of S-05. Now to see if i can kick start this fermentation. Update to come tomorrow.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #27
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this 2 weeks ago. I skipped the cocoa powder and mashed with 3 Lindt 76% chocolate bars. I am only cherry 4oz at a time to find the right taste. I don't like to pull samples ever few days, but i want to t only be a hint of cherry. I also added 1 vanilla bean. I think the vanilla will actually mellow the chocolate. Its pretty chocolaty. WildGinger, I wouldn't shake it with the airlock off. you don;t want to oxygenate fermented beer. One thing I have read is that if you have a stuck fermentation, make a well oxygenated starter and pitch at high kruesen. Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #28
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/chocolate-cherry-imperial-stout-355900/ This is my Imperial Choc-Cherry Stout. It has a noticeable cherry flavor, hints of brownies and a nice malty finish. The ABV is 11.7% but I'm sure it will be different for you, depending on your cherries.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just bottled this the other day. Although i changed the recipe a bit, its still similar. I used american hops and wlp051 and decided to put raspberry extract in secondary instead of at bottling like alot of people do. It smelled and tasted sooooooo good! I cant wait for this one!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #30
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just racked mine into a keg. its 3 weeks in the fermenter primary/secondary with 8oz cherry concentrate, 3 lindt chocolate bars and a vanilla bean. Its tasting good but I am not sure the additional gravity added by the cherry concentrate. any ideas?

Quick Reply