Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Chocolate Cherry Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
magno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

The cherry flavor is evident, but not overwhelming. I think I used about 56oz. of concentrate the previous time I made the recipe, but wanted to bump it up a bit this time. IIRC I just bought all the cherry concentrate they had on the shelf. I will probably go with 64 or 72oz. when I make it again.

As far as yeast goes: I fermented it with a neutral ale yeast. Chico Strain, US-05, WLP-001 or similar would work.

I have used vanilla extract in place of the whole beans before. I think I used around 1/2 - 1 TBS, but I will have to check my notes.

hopyard - let me know how your batch turns out!

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This looks like the perfect brew for the winter months! Im gonna put this one down this weekend and let it sit til Christmas at least!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
jadupe01
Recipes 

I think I am going to try this with blackberry whiskey instead of cherry concentrate.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this over the weekend and had great results! Ended up with 1.075 OG. I changed it a little bit and used different hops, i went more american stout. My preboil wort tasted like a dark chocolate triple espresso!! I cant wait to try this in a few months!

Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Pre boiled wort, tasted amazing!!

forumrunner_20120905_104830.jpg  

Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dago, Hopyard, how did your turn out. I think I am going to brew this but wanted to hear more feedback on the recipe and levels of cherry flavor. I want some but not overkill

Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I actually changed the grain bill a bit and used american hops and yeast. Its still similar, real rich, creamy, coffee and chocolate flavors. Im using raspberry extract instead of the cherry. Gonna rack it today or tomorow into secondary with the vanilla beans and rasp extract, let it sit about 4-6 weeks, then bottle it up for Christmas!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
hopyard
Recipes 

I ended up making this about a week later than my post. I just took a sample reading today and tasted it without the vanilla or .25 lb of secondary cocoa. I am really happy with it! Thank you for sharing this recipe Magno.

I added an extra 2 lbs of 2-row for a total of 12lbs. I had to substitute 80L crystal, and used 1.5 lbs of flaked oats so I did not use the rice hulls. I also used 60oz. of cherry concentrate. I cleaned the store out of their 3 bottles of the RW knudsen concentrate so used a different brand of organic cherry concentrate in 12oz bottles x 3. That stuff ain't cheep. It was around $30 for just the cherry. I used Safeale S-04 English dry yeast.

The chocolate was subtle and not overpowering. The cherry was a little more bold but much dryer than I had expected which is good. Not sweet and very drinkable.

I did a little research and figured the cherry added approximately .014 to the gravity. My O.G. was 1.069 and my reading today was 1.022...So 1.083 to 1.022 is 8.1 ABV. The fermentation was not rigorous from the bubbler so i added an extra package of Safeale S-04 dry yeast on day 4 when i added the juice. It still never got rigorous but the juice definitely started fermenting shortly after adding it.

Its been in primary for 10 days. The juice has been in 6 days. I am going to wait another week and then rack it to a keg with the vanilla beans and just leave it for a month. Then I plan on chilling it, while force carbing and serving. I swear I want to just drink it now! It's going to be a long month. It should last a while so I expect it to get better with age so I don't mind drinking it early.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #19
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1918 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice recipe magno. Thinking of brewing this on saturday. Quick question. I am not a fan of vanilla. Thinking about brewing it but leaving out the vanilla beans. Thoughts from someone that has brewed this?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm tickled that others are trying and liking the recipe!

Wild Ginger- I've made it with out the vanilla. The vanilla is only there to compliment the chocolate. You will be fine leaving it out all together.

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Quick Reply