Irish Stout Brad's Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsul

Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007 Dry English Ale - OR - WLP004 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
25L
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
This is my house beer. It normally comes out to 3.8-4% alcohol which for me is a nice session beer. It has definite roasted character which I also like, I think it is similar to what Guinness USED to be.

I find it turns out the best with WLP007 (Dry English Ale) over WLP004 (Irish Ale). I must admit I only made it with WLP004 for quite a few batches - but it is much drier if you use WLP007.

Recipe Efficiency: 75%

Grain
3.00 kg. Pale Malt(2-row), 1.036
1.20 kg. Flaked Barley, 1.032
0.50 kg. Roasted Barley, 1.028

Hops
70.00 g. Goldings - E.K., Pellet, 4.75%, 60 min.

Extras
1.00 Irish Moss, 15 Min.

Mash
Ratio: 2.3L/KG
Sacc. Rest: 150F @ 60 min.
Mash Out: 168F @ 10 min.
Sparge: 170F @ 45 min.

Carbonation
carbonate to 2.2 volumes

5408-brads_dry_stout.jpg

Thanks! That looks great and good head on it, too. I look forward to making this once I knock out a couple "warm weather" beers. It's sweltering here in Washington, DC. Nasty stuff. Appreciate your sharing, and once I make this, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll be batch sparging, so may not get quite the same results, but should be good. ---Steve

This is the first stout I have made and my first kegged brew. I am not a great fan of stouts but this simple brew is real nice and is getting better each week I have been hitting it. I have to learn some patience with the kegs. :)

I'm glad you enjoy it! It is a staple of my kegerator (and bottles before that).

I should get around to amending the recipe, I've found Nottingham is by far the best yeast I've used in this recipe (indeed it's all I use in this recipe now).
:mug:

I used Nottingham because I have been using dry yeasts as of late but maybe next time I might try WLP 002 as I like that yeast. My pours look just like the one you posted and the head gets thicker with lovely tiny bubbles.

Something like this is on the agenda for the weekend. Roasted barley and flaked barley should be waiting for me. I think I'm using Fuggles, though, I've got a crapload of them, and it'll probably be either Notty, US-05, or S-04.

I'm an admitted EKG-aholic, but this seems to turn out the same regardless of the hops. I usually make it with galena now to save some money on the batch.

What kind of pale malt are you using? I've got a sack of Maris Otter, which might change the character a bit (not necessarily for the worse).

I tweaked your recipe for my St Paddy's stout next month :mug:

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
2.00 lb Barley, Flaked (5.0 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (320.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
2.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) OR Nottingham

I've used both MO and standard 2-row (from Canada Malt). I THINK there is a difference, but I've not had the opportunity to do a side-by-side so I can't be positive. It was a pretty small difference though because it certainly didn't stand out.

I haven't been buying bulk standard 2-row for a while now though so the last 5 or 6 batches have all been MO.

the_bird said:
What kind of pale malt are you using? I've got a sack of Maris Otter, which might change the character a bit (not necessarily for the worse).
You will not be disappointed. I get mine from the local shop which is Gambrinus Organic.
I Love the Canadian malt.:)

I did a 10 gallon batch of your Best Laid Plans chocolate oatmeal Stout turned out amazing.
I was looking at this recipe and decided to put it on my to brew list.
Just wondering if Toasted Flaked Barley available from G&P is the same as the Flaked Barley mentioned in this recipe?

Cheers
Steve

I would guess from the name that it's regular flaked barley that has been toasted. ;) The flavour would be different I imagine but since the roasted flavour of all the roasted barley overwhelms everything else I imagine it would work just fine. It might even sneak in an interesting subtlety to the flavour. If you try it be sure to post the results!

I finally got around to brewing this stout yesterday. I finally found flaked barley at a local bulk health food shop. I did some small substitution and scaled to 11 Gallons;

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 24.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.00 %
5.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
2.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 37.3 IBU

Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb

I was a bit apprehensive with putting 2 lbs of roasted barley in this recipe but the wort from the hydrometer sample ( 1.050 SG) tasted well balanced between the flaked and roasted barley.

Just checked the brewery this morning...it's alive :)

Dry_Stout.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Do you do anything to the Flaked Barley? I feel like I remember reading in Brewing Classic Styles that you want to cut or run the flaked barley through the food processer or blender instead of leaving it in its full flaked form? I will have to look at the book when I get home tonight, but just wondering if anyone knows about this?

Update: Just Checked the book which states that "you need to crush the roasted barley very fine...to turn it almost into dust" - So I was wrong with the flaked barley. Guess you just need a solid crush for the roasted barley. Bradsul, with the nottingham issues of late, what do you think about using Fermentis US-05 for this?

Recently made this using the cry havoc yeast in the upper 50s. Bottled after 10 days or so. Came out amazing. After a couple of weeks in the fridge it was smooth as silk. Cried a tear over my last bottle last night. Highly recommended.

I made this with 2 rehydrated packages of Nottingham mashed at 149° and pitched at 79° fermented at 72°-74° (I know, it's high, but I wasn't worried). OG was 1.044. After a week, it only got to 1.02. Anybody have a Nottingham stall on this one? I'd figure a double pitch at a high temp should finish pretty fast with this strain.

I've never used that much Flaked Barley before. Used 7 lbs of 2-row, 1.25lbs Roasted Barley and 2.6 lbs Flaked Barley. Based on the OG, it seems like everything saccrified okay. It's possible my thermometer is off, but per mash calculations, I'm hitting the right temp with my strike water.

My hydrometer is newish and reads 1.00 with tap at 66°.

The one time I made a guinness clone, the exact same thing happened to me 1.044 to start and died out at 1.020 only beer ever that didn't finish very close to target gravity.

I know this hasn't been posted to in some time. I just brewed this recipe two and a half weeks ago. I pitched a packet of Nottingham and am surprised that my FG is roughly 1.013. I'm used to Nottingham getting to 1.008.

The sample doesn't taste particularly sweet and without carbonation it coats your mouth quite well. Flavour is quite good though. Looking forward to seeing how this carbonates.

Back