Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - "Boondock" Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #41
bigred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just another update. I am just about to finish off this very tasty recipe. Since brewing this I have converted to AG, so I just got back from the LHBS and got the ingredients to make this again over the holidays. I am leaving the hops and special grains the same as the first time, the only difference is I will be using 11 lbs of 2 row. Again, a very tasty recipe and I for sure recommend it to anyone that likes a nice, roasty, stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #42
GotMOAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this 2 days ago and I can't wait to try it! The only thing different thing was 4.5 lbs of malt vs 4 lbs I didn't notice it until I poured it in and it said 4.5 insted of 4. O well hope it turns out good it smells great!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #43
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMOAB View Post
I just brewed this 2 days ago and I can't wait to try it! The only thing different thing was 4.5 lbs of malt vs 4 lbs I didn't notice it until I poured it in and it said 4.5 insted of 4. O well hope it turns out good it smells great!
To be honest, you really can't go too heavy on this recipe. It seems to only get better with more thrown in, in my opinion.

Of course, I practically love to chew my stouts so... maybe I'm not the best one to offer up opinions on this
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 01-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #44
GotMOAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am getting anxious to try this! Still in my secondary an I should be bottling next week. I am taking all of it with me to the desert race king of the hammers. I can't wait to try it!

Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #45
celticcolorado
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great recipe! This was a huge hit with my friends on St. Paddy's Day. I will definitely brew again.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #46
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Just wanted to throw a little commentary in since I tried my first bottle of this last night. It's the first batch I bottled, and the last extract brew I did. I changed the recipe ever so slightly based on commentary in the thread and the hops I had around. Brewed on 3/1, bottled 3/27, tried my first bottle last night.. And I swear, this is good enough beer to pay for! Wow! Nice and roasty, great body, not too terribly heavy so that you wouldn't want another, though. Decent head considering it's not really conditioned fully yet. Great, great beer. I think I'll chill another and crack it tonight, then stash the rest of the bottles so I don't drink 'em all before they're finished!!

Thanks again for the recipe!

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 04-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #47
keithfitzpatrick
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this recipe last month and I thought it came out great.

The only change I made was that I used White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast instead of Muntons.

The beer came out with a very pleasant roast coffee flavor. It was pretty dry which I liked.

My only critique would be that although it has great roasted backbone, it needs a little more something to fill out the body. It also doesn't have quite the same silky mouthfeel that you expect from a stout. Head retention was a bit weak.

Overall a GREAT beer though, and I really enjoy drinking this one.

Last edited by keithfitzpatrick; 04-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
GotMOAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this brew is still one of the best ones i have brewed. all my friends keep bugging me to make more. GREAT recipe

Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #49
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
Just wanted to throw a little commentary in since I tried my first bottle of this last night. It's the first batch I bottled, and the last extract brew I did. I changed the recipe ever so slightly based on commentary in the thread and the hops I had around. Brewed on 3/1, bottled 3/27, tried my first bottle last night.. And I swear, this is good enough beer to pay for! Wow! Nice and roasty, great body, not too terribly heavy so that you wouldn't want another, though. Decent head considering it's not really conditioned fully yet. Great, great beer. I think I'll chill another and crack it tonight, then stash the rest of the bottles so I don't drink 'em all before they're finished!!

Thanks again for the recipe!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I just made another batch of it for a Homebrew competition up here in VT on May 1st. I'll let you all know how it does.

Keep the innovation of the beer coming! I love to hear that everyone's got their own awesome twist on it! Maybe one day it'll become legendary.
On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #50
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"4 Lbs (Medium) Pale Extract"

is there a MEDIUM?? I cant seem to find it...Im a noob of course....

What about using a Dark Malt Extract instead?

Quick Reply