Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - "Boondock" Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #21
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I just bottled my second batch of this today with some slight alterations.

I have to say... MY GOD! I just tasted the sample of it and I drank the whole thing in about 15 seconds - it was just about as good as a finished beer! The taste was spot on - mildly chocolaty and moreso coffee tasting with good body and a nice hoppy aroma. I cannot WAIT to taste this batch - it may be the best thing I've ever made.

I'll post back when its finished and give the full report.

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #22
craven_morhead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What did you tune up? I'm probably going to do something along these lines soon.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 AM   #23
dangerbrew
Recipes 

I just have to say... Having *finally* tasted my second batch of Boondock Stout, complete with tune-ups, is that it is the greatest beer I've ever produced by far. Perfect taste, smooth as a baby's bottom, and a body that rival's Guiness's reputation in Ireland as a 'scoop' rather than a beer.

I won't go into great detail in regards to exactly what I tuned up for the beer, as I'd like to keep it more of a personal secret, but I will say that if you play around with it enough you can make it even better than it was before. And that's saying something.

We've already finished 2 german growlers of it at this point, and my friends that have joined me for its debut all agree - it's just about the best stout they've ever had.

Best luck to everyone else who's brewing this beer - it's a winner for sure and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #24
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personal secret? Hmph.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #25
ShameBrews
Recipes 

Yeah that's kind of silly to post that you have a secret. Don't you want my friends to enjoy drinking your delicious recipe?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #26
dangerbrew
Recipes 

All I'm saying is that I'd like everyone to continue experimentation with the recipe and to try adding things that will make it taste the way they want it to. Sure, I wouldn't necessarily mind posting on here exactly how I altered mine, but I believe there's a certain beauty in keeping a few things to oneself when it comes to brewing - something that makes it uniquely yours - that no one else can quite exactly copy.

What I'm really saying is - I hope you all can come out with some variations that might be even better than what I've got - and that the variation is yours and only yours - something to truly be proud of so that you can say "This is MY version" with a true sense of satisfaction. In a sense, it's all about you guys.

I want the spirit of experimentation to live on with the Boondock.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
lmg95
Recipes 

i just brewed this yesterday but AHS was out of Target hops so i used ***** hops.

sorry, it's a trade secret now so i can't divulge that information to anyone.

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #28
dangerbrew
Recipes 

i hear ***** hops are pretty bananas... any idea what aau?

oh wait.... yes... secrets....

Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
ShameBrews
Recipes 

IMG, I definitely agree that ***** hops are the necessary substitution for perfection of this brew. Also, I used to live in Burlington, and nobody out there understood when I was being sarcastic either. I think its something in the air... It smelled good but it made everyone sleepy.

On a more serious note, I have been enjoying my batch for a while. I substituted in oatmeal for the flaked barley and some chocolate malt for the dark roasted. The result was a thick, mild but tasty initial flavor, that does a complete 180 when you swallow it. It tastes like a typical stout at first but the after taste is smooth and delicious, with a light chocolaty oatmeal flavor that gets you ready for your next sip. I think my next move will be to add back in the flaked barley, and see how that changes things.

I definitely recommend the chocolate malt though. Just a little bit adds a lot of personality.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #30
bigred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am planning on making this next week as long as my brew shop has everything I need. Here is my list, tell me what you guys think.

.5 lbs crystal malt 120L
1.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt

4lbs Pale liquid extract
1.5 lbs light dry extract

rest follows the OP. I also plan on using the same method as the OP. Does anyone else have suggestions on things to change? This will be my first extract brew so I am pretty excited. And just a couple questions to the OP, what temp did you boil at? And how much water did you add before the boil and after the boil?

Thanks

Quick Reply