Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - "Boondock" Irish Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Ceedubya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

so after 15 days in primary, this beer finished at 1.014. I racked to the keg this afternoon and there it will set until St. pattys day.

Do you think it would benefit by keg conditioning at room temp for a week or two, or straight to the fridge?

nevermind, I decided to leave it out till I get back home next weekend. I purged three times, left it hooked up at 12 pounds for awhile and back into the fermentation room.

I tasted the hydrometer sample, and it was definitely hefty in the roasted barley dept. I cant' wait till its done!

Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Last edited by Ceedubya; 02-08-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Now that it's sadly all gone, I have to say my only real criticism of this brew was that it was a little less malty than I had hoped, and also had the tiniest, most elusive taste of too much roasted-ness... but you really had to stretch to notice it.

I think next time I'll probably substitute some chocolate barley for some of the roasted, but not too much.

Any ideas on how to make it just a little maltier, with more body?

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 02-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #13
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerbrew View Post
Now that it's sadly all gone, I have to say my only real criticism of this brew was that it was a little less malty than I had hoped, and also had the tiniest, most elusive taste of too much roasted-ness... but you really had to stretch to notice it.

I think next time I'll probably substitute some chocolate barley for some of the roasted, but not too much.

Any ideas on how to make it just a little maltier, with more body?
I'd look into a specifically malty yeast, such as WLP 002 or Wyeast British Ale II.

Regarding the grain bill, subtract the flaked barley. It doesn't do much of anything at all in an extract brew. Ditch the LME, and do 5 lb light DME, or thereabouts. Add some malto-dextrine to increase body, about 6 oz. Use only .5 lbs roasted Barley, 1 pound chocolate. Increase the 80L to 120L.

Let it sit in the primary for a full 3 weeks before bottling, then keep it in bottles for 4-6 weeks before drinking.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
Ceedubya
Recipes 

So after letting it secondary in the keg for week, and then into the fridge for a week and half (I have been too busy (lazy) to take care of it) I re-racked into a second corny to get it off of any thing that had settled out and force carbed this beer last night.

I tasted the sample from the hydrometer (still at 1.014) and man is this beer awesome! Very heavy coffee taste from all that roasted barley, which I love

I can't wait to share this with the crew on St. Patty's day!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

glad to hear you're enjoying the boondock

my friends have been bugging me like crazy to make a new batch soon, so it looks like that's probably going to be the next on my list.

have a great st. paddy's!

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #16
bsaxe
Recipes 

I'm gonna start brewing this recipe next weekend. I only have a 3 gal carboy open so I think I'm just gonna cut the recipe down to size. Any reason why it wouldn't work? I'm really excited about this beer.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Let us know how it turns out in a 3 gallon brew. I just finished the last of mine a two night ago

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
bsaxe
Recipes 

Brewed a 3 gal batch today. Its my first stout and I cant wait to taste it. Hope its as good as you say.

Spent hops in your shower drain makes it a bath.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

A friend and I brewed this one pretty much straight off the original recipe, but we're going to secondary it with bourbon soaked oak chips and vanilla beans. Our OG was 1.052, only issue so far is that the gravity got stuck at 1.030 after 10 days, so we ended up throwing in a packet of Nottingham and some yeast nutrient to try to get the gravity going. Holy crap it smells fantastic though.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #20
ShameBrews
Recipes 

Glad to hear people are enjoying this, I have been looking for a simple recipe so I went shopping for the ingredients for this one yesterday. I subbed in oatmeal for flake barley and replaced .2 lbs of the dark malt with chocolate malt because of limited supply, but I am psyched to put it to the pot. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply