Black Betty American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
CAL ALE 2pkgs
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
??
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Hoppy. More like a Stout IPA. Roasty too.
Recipe: American Stout
Brewer: Homercidal
Asst Brewer: McStout
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (42.5)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 37.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14 lbs 16.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
16.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.71 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 44.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
2 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 9.57 gal of water at 161.3 F 154.0 F

Brewed this with McStout. Sort of a throw-together recipe using whatever stuff I happen to have on hand: American Hops and some stout grains.

After brewing, left boil kettle in snowbank overnight to chill. Next day heat up on stove and pitched yeast. I think the extra soaking time affected the hops rate, as this was very hoppy at the start. Several months of aging mellowed them out a bit, but they are still pronounced yet. A no-chill method would replicate this if you were so inclined.

Water was adjusted for dark and balanced.

Scored 42.5 in BJCP judging at Siciliano's Market's Homebrew Day competition and made BOS round.

Hope you like it! :mug:

EDIT: Posting a recipe is not as straightforward as I thought it was going to be. Any helpful comments on posting a recipe would be appreciated. Disparaging comments about my recipe post will be make me sad.

View attachment Black_Betty_American_Stout.pdf

View attachment Black Betty American Stout.bsm

View attachment Black Betty American Stout.xml

This looks like an awesome recipe. I'm actually brewing a stout that I have had in gredients for. Wish I saw this first. I wouldn't mind trying to do a "CAscadian Stout". LOL You should trade me a bottle ;)

This looks like an awesome recipe. I'm actually brewing a stout that I have had in gredients for. Wish I saw this first. I wouldn't mind trying to do a "CAscadian Stout". LOL You should trade me a bottle ;)

Where you at? I only have 2 bottles of that first batch left and they are my ticket to winning the HBT competition this year. However, I have a second batch in the primary, just about ready to transfer to the secondary and I may put some oak and bourbon in there this time too!

But I'd love to swap beer if you want to. 2 bottles fit into the shrink wrap core tubes from the shipping area at work.

I'm in Muskegon. I ship beer all the time so no big deal for me to find packaging. I have an IMperial stout that will be 9 months aged for this christmas and I have a Chocolate stout thats about 2 weeks old now. Wanna plan on waiting a couple months then shipping out? By then I will have quite a few aged and ready. Kona Porter, couple saisons, american stout, imperial stout etc....

This is the beer you brought up to my house, isn't it? I loved it. I'm going to brew in in October. It's on my list. Thanks for posting the BSM file- that makes it easier for me!

This is the beer you brought up to my house, isn't it? I loved it. I'm going to brew in in October. It's on my list. Thanks for posting the BSM file- that makes it easier for me!

Same one. But I brewed it a few weeks ago and put it on the oak and bourbon last night. Strangely enough (or not) it tastes different. Could be I haven't let it sit long enough, or it still needs chilling and carbed. I've been fooled many times by tasting a beer too young, and that last one aged for a few months before I gave it out.

I'm loving my new Keggle. I made enough of this to completely fill my 6G secondary. Usually I'm lucky to get 50 bottles.

Actually filled it up and had very nearly 3 bombers to boot.

Thanks for saving the recipe the way you did. Now to learn how to do this from BeerSmith to this forum to post a recipe. So much to learn from you savvy brewers,

Thanks for saving the recipe the way you did. Now to learn how to do this from BeerSmith to this forum to post a recipe. So much to learn from you savvy brewers,

I simply Right-Clicked on the recipe in the recipe list and chose EXPORT. There are a few options to choose from. I think there is a way to export into a file that the site can use, but I haven't really looked into it. Maybe XML format.

For this recipe I believe I attached the file using the site controls. Pretty easy to upload a file to a post.

Latest posts

Back