Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Big Stout, no B.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default All-Grain - Big Stout, no B.S.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.3
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU: 61-91
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 45 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks
Tasting Notes: Big, thick, and roasty.

Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %

Ingredients:

10 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Ale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 70.7 %
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) 6.9 %
1 lbs Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) 6.9 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 6.9 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 5.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 3.4 %
1.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min 15.4 IBUs (or 45+ IBUs)
1.00 oz Horizon [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 45.8 IBUs
Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Single Infusion Mash 154 degrees for 80 min

I made this March 3 and it was a hit at Pascha (April 15), but it was better in June.

Technically, first wort hops have been shown to impart all the IBUs and more from a full boil. So, this should have over 90 IBUs, but it doesn't taste like that. I did use hop bags, which may have cut the utilization just a bit. Above, I counted the FWH as a 20 min addition for a total of 61 IBUs. To me, it seems well balanced.

Anyway, I really like this stout.

Edit: On the IBUs, I've since decided it is appropriate to estimate the actual IBUs rather than what some have said is the perceived bitterness and about which there is some debate. So, that would be 71 Tinseth and 96 Rager. I'm guessing Tinseth is more accurate here.

Last edited by Orthobrewsky; 09-05-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Better information
944play Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

We all know pretty much what it looks like, but I still enjoy seeing pictures of beers for some reason. So, here you go:

snc00992.jpg

dscn1083.jpg

dscn1084.jpg

dscn1087.jpg

Old 06-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
snowninja1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default No b.s.

I wonder if you mean no coco nibs ,no bourbon ,no oak chips ... no raspberries ..this recipe looks great.. and the picks are good as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Beautiful. I'm working on an NB extract kit chocolate milk stout now. Just finished a 3 week primary, moved to secondary and added cocoa nibs. Planning on leaving for 2 weeks and bottling. I've been wondering how long I will have to bottle condition. Sorry if I'm hijacking, I intend this question for OP.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

That is seriously black! Awesome! I hope my RIS turns out like that.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks amazing. I'll bet it tastes even better.

Brewed a RIS 4 weeks ago. It's basically a copy of my favorite beer I've brewed to date. Its been in the bottle for only 1 week. I'm dying to taste it but I am trying to resist. Every time I taste in less than two weeks I am disappointed and then two weeks later I love it. But I just can't seem to learn the lesson. Worse yet, I just brought up a bottle of that and the IPA I bottled at the same time and put them in the pantry. How am I going to resist now? Will power, will power....

Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowninja1 View Post
I wonder if you mean no coco nibs ,no bourbon ,no oak chips ... no raspberries ..this recipe looks great.. and the picks are good as well.
Thanks.

Actually, when I was planning it on Beersmith, I named it "Big Stout." Normally, I mark the bottle caps by the initials of whatever I named the beer. For some reason, that didn't seem like the thing to do this time...you know...so, I wrote "E S" for "extra stout" on the caps. Then, naming the thread, I thought "I'm not fooling around here, this really is a big stout," so, "no B.S." seemed right on two counts. Now, you have given me a third reason .

Old 06-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsojos View Post
Beautiful. I'm working on an NB extract kit chocolate milk stout now. Just finished a 3 week primary, moved to secondary and added cocoa nibs. Planning on leaving for 2 weeks and bottling. I've been wondering how long I will have to bottle condition. Sorry if I'm hijacking, I intend this question for OP.
Well, NB lists your OG as 1.051, so it should mature sooner than mine did. I'd say try one after 2 or 3 weeks in the bottle. One thing I've noticed about my stouts is that they seem a bit slow to carbonate and they tend to get better after a few months. You have a fairly low strength stout, so I would guess it should be pretty mature a couple months from brew day.

On the other hand, I've never made one of the sweeter stouts, so I'm sure others would know more.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
That is seriously black! Awesome! I hope my RIS turns out like that.
Actually, when I made this, I was thinking of it as a warm up for a RIS, which I have yet to make. We don't have many Russians in our church, but it comes of the Russian tradition and it occurred to me a bit too late to make an RIS for Pascha. So, I made something a bit less strong, but thick and black. Next Pascha is May 5th, so I'm planning to brew one in the fall to be ready by then. I'm interested in hearing about all the recipes people are trying on here.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #10
Orthobrewsky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
Looks amazing. I'll bet it tastes even better.

Brewed a RIS 4 weeks ago. It's basically a copy of my favorite beer I've brewed to date. Its been in the bottle for only 1 week. I'm dying to taste it but I am trying to resist. Every time I taste in less than two weeks I am disappointed and then two weeks later I love it. But I just can't seem to learn the lesson. Worse yet, I just brought up a bottle of that and the IPA I bottled at the same time and put them in the pantry. How am I going to resist now? Will power, will power....
I certainly feel your pain. When I got back into brewing last summer, this waiting thing was a real problem for me and still is. I came to realize that the only way I'd age beers properly is to brew a lot and have lots of different beers in the pipeline. Now I have 2 freezers and a fridge and a half devoted to beer in one way or another.

Quick Reply