Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
Chadh4x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I did not check my gravity before boil because I thought it would be too hot to check it... My LHBS did the crush on the grains and it looked good. Hydrometer works. Checked with bottled water and was at 1.000. No gravity adjustments for tempature. I did stir vigorously on each batch sparge. I sparged at 185. I don't think I reduced it enough on the boil. I might try 6 gallon boils next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #72
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadh4x View Post
I did not check my gravity before boil because I thought it would be too hot to check it... My LHBS did the crush on the grains and it looked good. Hydrometer works. Checked with bottled water and was at 1.000. No gravity adjustments for tempature. I did stir vigorously on each batch sparge. I sparged at 185. I don't think I reduced it enough on the boil. I might try 6 gallon boils next time.
When did you take the gravity? What temperature? Actual values can be MUCH higher if you took the sample at a high temperature. http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

For example, 1.034 taken at 140 degrees is actually 1.047

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #73
Chadh4x
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernlifeisANDY View Post
When did you take the gravity? What temperature? Actual values can be MUCH higher if you took the sample at a high temperature. http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

For example, 1.034 taken at 140 degrees is actually 1.047
I checked it when I was at the end of cooling my wort, about 70F.
When I get home from work ill check it again if the yeast have not already started going to town.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #74
BitterBomz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadh4x
A 185 degree sparge? Man, that's dangerously high, IMO. I never go above 170, usually 168 max. Don't think this would correlate to your SG problem, but geez that's some hot sparge water!! Let us know how it turns out. Also, did you use a starter? They work wonders...

Old 10-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #75
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBomz View Post
A 185 degree sparge? Man, that's dangerously high, IMO. I never go above 170, usually 168 max. Don't think this would correlate to your SG problem, but geez that's some hot sparge water!! Let us know how it turns out. Also, did you use a starter? They work wonders...
I usually hit my first sparge at around 185. Once it hits the grain bed it usually correlates to 170, which is perfect.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #76
Chadh4x
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBomz View Post
I started with 185F. Once it was in the grain it went down to 168-170F. No starter used. It's fermenting really good right now. Kitchen has a chocolate aroma to it since its in my kitchen. I just hope it does not taste watered down. ABV might be another story. We will see.

Are there any other way to check for alcohol content when it's finished?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #77
Sjorge3442
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadh4x View Post
I started with 185F. Once it was in the grain it went down to 168-170F. No starter used. It's fermenting really good right now. Kitchen has a chocolate aroma to it since its in my kitchen. I just hope it does not taste watered down. ABV might be another story. We will see.

Are there any other way to check for alcohol content when it's finished?
Using a hydrometer, you must know the OG in order to calculate the FG. Not sure if there are other methods besides the good old taste test.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #78
grifmo
Recipes 

I am itching to make this recipe but I am curious about the long term taste of the mint. Other recipes I have read that have used mint have mentioned how the mint taste seems to fade with time. Has anyone experienced that with this recipe? The other recipe which experienced the taste fading used fresh cut mint in a vodka tea.

I am also curious as to why people are adding the mint during the boil. To my knowledge the mint wouldn't interact with the yeast at all and it seems that it would be easier to add and control the flavoring by adding the mint to the secondary or as you are bottling.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #79
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifmo View Post
I am itching to make this recipe but I am curious about the long term taste of the mint. Other recipes I have read that have used mint have mentioned how the mint taste seems to fade with time. Has anyone experienced that with this recipe?
Well I'm going to give you that answer tonight. I made a recipe with Andes Mint Chocolate Stout as my inspiration about a year ago and I still have one bottle. I've been wondering when would be a good time to crack it and now seems as good a time as any.

I'll be sure to report my findings. I added six peppermint tea bags with 5 minutes left in the boil for a 3 gallon batch.

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #80
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Well I'm going to give you that answer tonight. I made a recipe with Andes Mint Chocolate Stout as my inspiration about a year ago and I still have one bottle. I've been wondering when would be a good time to crack it and now seems as good a time as any.

I'll be sure to report my findings. I added six peppermint tea bags with 5 minutes left in the boil for a 3 gallon batch.
I am interested to hear this, too! Mine never lasts long enough for this type of experiment.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Quick Reply