Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #161
benchwrmr22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled this about 15 minutes ago and I thought I'd share my notes and opinions on the peppermint flavor. I steeped 4 Celestial Seasonings Peppermint tea bags in 1 quart of water for about 5 minutes. While that was cooling I went ahead and bottled the first half (about 1.5 gallons) of the regular beer and set aside a hydro sample. I added the peppermint tea slowly to the remaining 1.5 gallons and this is what I came up with.

At 1/2 quart (2 cups) of tea there was a slight after-taste and a slight smell added to the beer.

At 3/4 quart (3 cups) the taste was only slightly mintier but it gained a sort of minty hoppy smell.

Finally, at the full quart there is a very nice minty taste and a slight minty tingle the first few sips you get of it. The smell maintains that minty, hoppy smell as stated before.

If I were to do it again I'd probably do the quart of tea but up it to 5 or maybe 6 tea bags and add the full quart. Oh yeah, and when I went back to the hydro sample I was very surprised at the amount of chocolate that came through. It's not like these are two different beers but the mint does make a huge difference. All in all this is a delicious beer and I can't wait to have these fully carbed. Thanks for the recipe! Cheers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 AM   #162
aking
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great looking recipe and thread. I can't wait to brew this in about 4 weeks.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #163
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Time for my promised review. I brewed this on 1/26/2013 and kegged it a week or ten days later. It's been pretty heavy on the mint and on the edge of undrinkable for me until yesterday.
The nose is moderately mint with a roast undertone.
Mouthfeel is thick, just as it should be. It literally chews. Initial flavor is identical to your average stout. Rich, roasty grains and a little chocolate in the background. As the beer warms on the tongue the mint becomes more evident, though not overpowering. Aftertaste is very much a chocolate mint candy. Semi-bitter chocolate comes up first followed by a smooth mint. The blend is very pleasant, though there is a slight alcohol burn to finish off the profile.

While this beer took quite a while to clean up and mellow, it was worth the wait. Kyle

Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #164
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Brewing the chocolate stout this morning. No mint this time - I will probably rebrew this for the winter and add the mint.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Old 03-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #165
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nice! Does your LHBS put the hops in those bottles themselves?

ON TAP
Empty kegs

FERMENTING
Nothing

ON DECK
Finishing my RIMS panel!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #166
scurry64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this yesterday. My digital thermometer was WAY out of wack. I don't have a clue what my mash temp was. The rest if the brew was uneventful. My OG was 1.052.
It has been in the fermenter for ~24 hours and its looking great. The krausen looks like toxic swamp sludge, but the beer looks very chocolatey.
I used only 4.5 oz cocoa powder and 10 celestial seasoning peppermint tea bags. The bitter cocoa flavor was prominent and the minty tingle was noticable.
I have high hopes for this beer.

forumrunner_20130310_200321.jpg

Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #167
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This beer is my goal. I have just started brewing this year but am optimistic about sharing this brew with the family at the holidays.

Yellow Room brewery ~ why? Because the walls are yellow.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #168
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

After four weeks in the bottle, mine had a carbonation issue. Very little carbonation on this beer. I wonder if my mint extract had some sort of artificial preservative in it that killed the yeast. I used S04 on it so i'll upgrade the yeast on the next batch. Feedback was positive and I even have a friend that want's a case, so i'm brewing it up in two weeks for him.

Positives: Great thick mouth feel, strong mint & strong chocolate flavor. Mellow and smooth with no hints of tannin due to the 48 hour roasted grain tea method.

Negatives: Lacking carbonation, no head, residual powdered chocolate in bottles, super strong mint & chocolate flavor, hops completely overpowered.

Fix for version 2.0 (to be brewed weekend after next): Switch to celestial seasonings mint tea bags for tea addition, dial back the powdered cocoa by 1/2, strain through coffee filter to remove cocoa powder, use Irish or Scottish ale yeast.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #169
benchwrmr22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I too am seeing the issues with carbonation in bottles. My batch has been in bottles for 2 weeks today and the beer gets pretty much no head and only slightly laces the glass. I was hoping it would get better but after your post I'm not holding out much hope. At first I was thinking it was because of the cocoa nibs solution in the extended secondary period that was causing my issue but it seems to be more widespread; maybe it's the cocoa powder?

I don't want to sound like this makes the beer bad because this is probably the best beer I've ever brewed! For those brewing it next I would try other methods to achieve carbonation like kegging. The chocolate smell is absolutely amazing thanks to the cocoa nibs. I'd say a fair tradeoff

Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #170
Stigy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernlifeisANDY View Post
Nice! Does your LHBS put the hops in those bottles themselves?
Sorry missed this but yeah my LHBS store sells hops in these 1oz bottles.

Currently Fermenting
#1 BBS Bruxelle's Blonde (1/20/2014)

Quick Reply