Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #141
Conan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I went with 4oz. of cocoa and 10 teabags. I cooled a portion of the hydro sample and that alone mellowed the entire palette. Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #142
Lumpyyyyy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Bottled with DME about 2 weeks ago, still not carbonated. The wait is killing me.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #143
benchwrmr22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this the other day and eyeballed about 4oz of the hersheys unsweetened chocolate. I didn't continue reading about using the mint tea bags in the boil so do you think adding a mint tea mixture at bottling time would be better than the mint extract? I've used extract before (vanilla) and it turned out quite harsh. Regardless, I planned on splitting the batch at bottling for 1/2 without mint and 1/2 with.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #144
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchwrmr22 View Post
I brewed this the other day and eyeballed about 4oz of the hersheys unsweetened chocolate. I didn't continue reading about using the mint tea bags in the boil so do you think adding a mint tea mixture at bottling time would be better than the mint extract? I've used extract before (vanilla) and it turned out quite harsh. Regardless, I planned on splitting the batch at bottling for 1/2 without mint and 1/2 with.
The tea is probably the better bet. The extract was a bit too harsh for my liking which is why I switched. I think I should probably edit the front page.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #145
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Andy,

Please update the recipe on the first page for your current one. I made this beer based on the original recipe BEFORE reading all of the updates. I know, my mistake, but now i'm worried about what i'm about to bottle. All of the revisions would greatly help.

Thanks.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #146
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
Andy,

Please update the recipe on the first page for your current one. I made this beer based on the original recipe BEFORE reading all of the updates. I know, my mistake, but now i'm worried about what i'm about to bottle. All of the revisions would greatly help.

Thanks.
I updated the recipe on the first page. Don't worry about the beer you brewed - in its initial incarnation, the beer was still great, which is why I bothered posting it. The other changes have been refinements over time, but you won't make bad beer. Give it maybe an extra week of conditioning to let the cocoa mellow out a bit. You can also try brewing a peppermint tea to add at bottling instead of the extract.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #147
benchwrmr22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks! I'll do a mint tea mixture when I boil up the water for the priming sugar. I may scale the bags back to about 6 since it'll have less time to bulk age. Now I have to decide if I'm racking into secondary onto a cocoa nibs solution . Decisions decisions...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #148
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernlifeisANDY View Post
I updated the recipe on the first page. Don't worry about the beer you brewed - in its initial incarnation, the beer was still great, which is why I bothered posting it. The other changes have been refinements over time, but you won't make bad beer. Give it maybe an extra week of conditioning to let the cocoa mellow out a bit. You can also try brewing a peppermint tea to add at bottling instead of the extract.
I decided to do the extract because it's all I had and didn't want to spend any more on mint tea bags. I scaled your recipe to a 1 gallon batch because I typically don't enjoy stouts as much as other styles, but this recipe might change my mind.

I must say, I have a tasting cup of the young beer here with me right now while i'm typing this. The original recipe is quite good, so no harm/no foul there. I decided to do a specialty grain tea by muslin bagging all of the roasted grains and soaking them in 3 quarts of distilled water for 48 hours instead of the traditional method of a hot steep. It worked very well for extracting the color and sweet roasty flavor from the specialty grains while limiting the astringency problem. I figured, the cocoa powder is going to provide a lot of bitterness so why compound it with the roasted malts.

The result is, I have a really really smooth tasting chocolate roasty stout with coffee, mint and i'd swear coconut flavor coming across on my palate. The peppermint extract blends perfectly, doesn't dominate and enhances the aroma.

This is a good fecking beer mang. Thanks for the recipe!

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #149
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i brewed this with s-04 and my gravity right now is at 1.022. its a bit cold at 62 degrees, so i hooked up a brew belt to it to see if it would attenuate a little more. kind of wishing i wouldnt have used s-04 now

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #150
benchwrmr22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow good luck! The WLP004 has been pretty resilient for me. I had the carboy outside in my temp controlled chest freezer and when the ambient temp dropped to about 50 degrees here in FL, the carboy dropped to about 57 . I brought it inside and the gravity read 1.020. The next day the yeasties were back to work as I could see them moving around.

And of course the sample was absolutely delicious!

Quick Reply