Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #131
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Sounds great! I really think the 4 oz. of cocoa powder is a better bet than the original 8 oz. Much more subtle and still chocolaty.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #132
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got my cocoa powder, I've got my ten tea bags. This sucker's getting made tomorrow! I'll update post-brew. I'm very minorly concerned about a stuck sparge as I have no rice hulls. We'll see!Kyle

Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #133
Conan
Recipes 

Well, after a mediocre brewday it's in the bucket and yeast is pitched. The hydro sample tastes great. Mint comes in at the back end but is still there. The beer is a melted-chocolate color at the moment, though I expect it to darken as it settles.

I had monsterous trouble achieving and maintaining a boil today. It is 26F here and that may have something to do with it, but my BG14 on NG should still handle the burden. I still ended up at 5.3 gallons, which was my target boiling from 6.3. Are there any nasty mythical creatures in the Andes? I'm thinking this beer may get that name. Kyle

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #134
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Well, after a mediocre brewday it's in the bucket and yeast is pitched. The hydro sample tastes great. Mint comes in at the back end but is still there. The beer is a melted-chocolate color at the moment, though I expect it to darken as it settles.

I had monsterous trouble achieving and maintaining a boil today. It is 26F here and that may have something to do with it, but my BG14 on NG should still handle the burden. I still ended up at 5.3 gallons, which was my target boiling from 6.3. Are there any nasty mythical creatures in the Andes? I'm thinking this beer may get that name. Kyle
It's a stretch, but in the Inca's (who populated the Andes) religion, Viracocha was the creator (one of many deity gods).......cocoa / Viracocha....

Told ya it was a stretch..

Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #135
Conan
Recipes 

They call me Stretch. Stretch Armstrong!

Thanks for that, though! I think it's something I could work in to a name very wittily. Kyle

Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #136
heathcom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got the ingredients for this recipe and will he brewing tomorrow. I have 3 one gallon fermenters and thinking of 3 different styles before bottling. In one gallon Im thinking of adding lactose. This is my 2nd time brewing and not sure when and how much to add. Im guessing at priming and maybe 1/3 pound?
The other two gallons will have different amounts of mint extract. Will post if all goes well.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #137
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks awesome! Looks like Andy's recipe has stood the test of time here. Does anyone that's made this use BeerSmith, and have a .bsm file for this?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #138
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i got this brewed for the second time. Used S-04, 6 tbsp of loose leaf mint tea (mix of spearmint and peppermint), and 4 oz of cocoa powder. My efficiency was a bit better than normal so have an OG of 1.066

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #139
Conan
Recipes 

I did a post-fermentation hydro test today and it came in at 1.012. That's much lower than I anticipated (was shooting for 1.015), and BeerSmith had an FG of 1.017. Oh well, it's an even 6% ABV.

Now, on to the tasting. It's....bold. Aroma is very minty with a hint of chocolate, and in fact smells exactly like a fresh Andes Mint. Flavor is not that great yet. The cocoa powder is very evident, and dominates the profile. Mint is present as well at the end of the tasting experience. My wife, who doesn't like stouts, said she didn't like that it the aroma is so sweet and balanced but the flavor is sharp and bitter. I agree, though in my experience the cocoa-bitter will subside. It's cold-crashing now and will be for a couple days, then I'll keg and update again.

While this preliminary review may sound a disappointed or negative it is in no way meant to be. I brewed this 8 days ago and cocoa powder takes time to mellow. I don't expect glory for at least another week. If you're thinking about brewing this recipe I still recommend it, if nothing else than for the potential mine currently shows. Enjoy! Kyle

Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #140
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I did a post-fermentation hydro test today and it came in at 1.012. That's much lower than I anticipated (was shooting for 1.015), and BeerSmith had an FG of 1.017. Oh well, it's an even 6% ABV.

Now, on to the tasting. It's....bold. Aroma is very minty with a hint of chocolate, and in fact smells exactly like a fresh Andes Mint. Flavor is not that great yet. The cocoa powder is very evident, and dominates the profile. Mint is present as well at the end of the tasting experience. My wife, who doesn't like stouts, said she didn't like that it the aroma is so sweet and balanced but the flavor is sharp and bitter. I agree, though in my experience the cocoa-bitter will subside. It's cold-crashing now and will be for a couple days, then I'll keg and update again.

While this preliminary review may sound a disappointed or negative it is in no way meant to be. I brewed this 8 days ago and cocoa powder takes time to mellow. I don't expect glory for at least another week. If you're thinking about brewing this recipe I still recommend it, if nothing else than for the potential mine currently shows. Enjoy! Kyle
Thanks for all the feedback, Kyle. You are absolutely right about the cocoa powder. It is a very strong flavor that does subside with time. Did you use the full 8 oz. from the original recipe or 4 oz.?

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Quick Reply