Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - Session Mild (E)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #111
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Bob, I only have Brewer's Gold, Challenger, Delta, Glacier and Newport hops available for a brew this weekend. I might be able to scrounge up some Willamette (not sure). Any preferences? I'm using WL Yorkshire Square yeast and subbing Brown Malt for the Special Roast if it makes a difference...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #112
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I just did a Best Bitter with Delta and really enjoyed it. I'd say Brewer's Gold or Delta. Brewer's Gold is more "authentic".

Bob

Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #113
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Thanks a bunch...

Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #114
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm going to brew this!
Just one question: should I call it "English Brown Ale" or "English Mild Ale" or "English Dark Mild Ale" or "Mild Ale"?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #115
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Hi Bob,
I was wondering what your thoughts would be on scaling this up to a Northern English Brown ale.

6lbs Maris Otter LME
8oz Crystal 55L
5oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Special Roast

Hopped with Fuggles to 25 IBUs

Nottingham Yeast

Thanks in advance. Love your recipes!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #116
Bob
Recipes 

I think that'd be awful. But I tell you what - brew it anyway, bottle it, and send it all to me. I assure you I will dispose of it properly.

Seriously, that sounds like a beer I'd drink a LOT of and enjoy every drop. Good luck with it!

Bob

Old 09-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #117
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As a worn out and time pressed AG mostly brewer, I picked up this recipe today to use up some of my bulk dme. I've got Windsor ale yeast that I won't let get north of 65f to ferment it with.

I've never even tasted a mild, but as sessionable as it seems, and as much as I need a brownish ale on tap, and as much as I need a nice and simple stove top partial boil brew day.... This beer sounds perfect.

Oh and off topic, but Bob for British bitter templates (and because I've made a grand total of two bitters, making me an expert ) between your Pride of Raubsville and the Landlord clone I made, I preferred the Pride recipe. Here's hoping this is just as enjoyable.

Edited - boiled this up today, and it reminded me why extract brewing can be so nice. Stove top boil, Steeping grains smelled like coffee and chocolate, chilling inside to 90 or so, then adding 2.5 gallons of 36f distilled water... I breezed through that brew day.. And it made me think about finding some seriously good extract recipes (nothing hoppy I'd imagine) to take a break from the AG process. Here's hoping it tastes great.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #118
Bob
Recipes 

I hope you enjoy the finished product! Mild can be described as a lower-octane brown ale. Flavor can be on a par with less-assertive brown ales like Newcastle, and malt should definitely be noticeable over hops and bitterness.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #119
ckresge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Does anyone have any experience with Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale? My LHBS was out of 1028 for a porter that's currently fermenting, so I decided to give 1275 a try. I am planning on reusing it for this brown ale. I can't imagine it being bad, but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this strain and how it would affect this beer.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #120
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckresge View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Wyeast 1275 - Thames Valley Ale? My LHBS was out of 1028 for a porter that's currently fermenting, so I decided to give 1275 a try. I am planning on reusing it for this brown ale. I can't imagine it being bad, but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this strain and how it would affect this beer.
I have zero experience with it, but in general (having used wyeast 1968, wlp007, wyeast 1469, safale s04, Nottingham, and Windsor) its hard to go wrong with most British styles. Given that this is supposed to be a lighter flavored ale, I'd imagine any British strain will work nicely. I vote give it a shot and let us know. I'm about to pitch Windsor in mine once the fridge brings the bucket down to 65f.

Quick Reply