Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - Session Mild (E)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #91
MrWiggles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
This beer is fantastic; exactly what I was looking for. Light chocolate roasted flavors, extremely smooth. Brewed the recipe as stated, but subbed in Fuggles. I will be brewing this again in the future. Thanks for the recipe.

Personally, I subbed in a half OZ of Fuggles and half OZ of Liberty just to see how it comes out. It should be fully carbed by wednesday so I'll report back then. But as I have already said, my hydrometer sample at bottling (which I accidentally took after adding the priming sugar) tasted wonderful. So I have been dying to taste this beer. I have managed to distract myself with some craft beers though like the Flying Dog sampler 12pk, SN Porter, and tonight: Lazy Magnolia's Reb Ale (which is quite good I might add).

I took up nuclear physics instead.
Broom Closet Brews

Primary: Empty :(

Clearing Apfelwein

Bottled: Apfelwein mit Pfirschen, Mild w/orange&chocolate

R.I.P. Bareknuckle Brown, Witzbold Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #92
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Checked FG today after 6 days and reports of no activity (I'm not at home during the week, so I have my girlfriend on beer watching duties to insure against blow-offs and the like). 1.010, wich seems to be right for the style. I tasted the sample and it was good and smooth. I could really taste the caramel and caramber (wich was a sub). The chocolate is only a faint note in the background, hope it picks up a bit more but the beer is still extremly green altough it is smooth. Very, very smooth.

Considering all the hiccups associated with this brew such as a 2 hours cool-off time, no formation of krausen, pitching bad notty and repitching with US-05, it is good, if not great. It was also the first brew using my well water.

I finally topped off 4 hours after picthing the bad notty. I was tipsy, saw the two cheap (and probably ancient) 1.89 liters spring water bottles I had lying around and reasoned they were a good option... So I had an OG of whatever but in the ballpark of my expected gravity...

I know that you like everything to be well organized Bob, but for a first AG brew, I'm really happy to have chosen your recipe. Sorry for mangling it though, but this looks like a sure rebrew. I'll be a better boy next time I promise

Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #93
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm really happy you're happy!

Don't be sorry about anything - unless, of course, you didn't learn anything from it. Then I'll get my passport, stand outside your house and shout really, really bad French at you.

And trust me; my French is terrible.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 10-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #94
jfr1111
Recipes 

Bottled this today: I used gelatin because the beer wasn't clear enough for me. I lost about half a gallon to rock solid trub/yeast (no way I could have racked that stuff), but the beer flowing from the tube was very clear. Still, once the beer was in a glass, it wasn't as clear as intended. Might have to refrigerate for a week or two after carbing if I want to give some to guests who are used to being able to watch the tv through their beer. Or serve into ceramic mugs or smaller glasses...

The taste was a bit sweet, but I attribute that to the priming sugar. Not as dry as the FG suggested and I have pleasant background fruit/dark caramel. The chocolate was more present than when I took my OG.

It might have to do with my water, but the bitterness is almost non existent. Might pick up a bit once the beer is carbed though.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #95
jfr1111
Recipes 

I bumped a case of this today while getting my skis out of the closet and a bottle started spewing... Now, what can I do, except drink it ?

Poured into a small coke glass. The beer is now CRYSTAL clear: you can see the bubbles rising to the top. I might have lost some beer to the gelatin but it looks like a commercial brew. Little to no head (yeah, not even a week in, talk about robbing the craddle), even with a forceful pour. Really pleased with the visual result, especially considering it took two hours to cool down, I used no kettle finings and dumped everything in the fermenter. It really is a beautiful beer.

Aroma/taste is malty with caramel and some breadiness (probably from the caramber). No notes of fruit or yeast as there was at bottling. Taste has some mild carbonation bite (already). Strangely, I get some slight earthy hop flavour now, altough I only did a bittering addition per the recipe. Even young, this is smooth and drinkable due to the crisp finish. This is a dark beer for people who do not like dark beer. I might just bump the bitterness a bit for my taste and brewing water (I have extremly soft water).

Now that I have special roast on hand, I will probably brew this again and also use the recipe as a base for a bitter.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #96
daenja
Recipes 

I brewed this on the 9th of this month and have almost gone through the whole batch. It's so good I can't seem to stay away from it and let it mature! I'm off to my LHBS right now to get more ingredients to brew it again! Thanks for the great recipe!

Old 10-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #97
jfr1111
Recipes 

^^^ I had never had a Mild before I made my own using Bob's recipe. It really is a nice style that I will try to have on hand at all time. I might just try to make it lighter colour-wise so the dark beer naysayers will still try it. To me it doesn't taste like it looks, at all: there's almost no roastiness or nuttyness, only a bit of bread, caramel and earth (for lack of a better term) coming from the speciality grains. I don't doubt that the Special Roast, wich I will use next time, rounds out the flavour if it's a bit tangy.

I can't wait until the beer has really carbed up.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #98
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just a side note, this beer s best drunk in the first month. The flavor is awesome for the first three weeks. After that it's still a solid beer, but some of the nuances fade. In other words, don't bother with aging - drink this one fresh!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #99
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I've noticed that, too. Drink it fresh, that's my advice.

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #100
jfr1111
Recipes 

I'll brew my next batch on the first week of December so it's ready around Christmas, so yeah, it's a rebrew. I've noticed in my last serving yesterday that the taste is indeed going downhil It is still very good, but the caramel, mild earthiness and floral qualities are gone. The bread also increased, so it's not nearly as balanced as it was before. It also never carbed to my liking: I have an American palate and 1,6 or whatever I shot for was too low. It pours beautiful, but the head dissipates completly in a minute and then it looks still.

I have sat on it in the primary for too long. Next time, I'll take a reading after 7 days and 10 days, gelatin if it hasn't moved and I'll bottle at 14 days. The time you wait for it to carb in bottles plays against you. I now understand why it's a style that doesn't travel well and is exclusively on draught.

Quick Reply