Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #431
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,233
Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by br3ds0x View Post
Just brewed this as my first AG batch. Only wanted to do half a batch and added a couple ounces of honey malt. Had an OG of 1.037 (BeerSmith estimated a 1.043). Being my first AG, I ran into a few issues and see areas for improvement. Nonetheless, looking forward to trying this in a few weeks. Much more satisfying making an AG than an extract.
More work, but it feels like you acheved something....
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #432
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,970
Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post

Took a hydro sample yesterday (after 5 days in primary) and I am at 1.014 so it looks like something took place. I just hope I can get down a few more points in the next couple days.

I sampled some of the beer and I must say it doesn't have the 'full flavor' I was expecting, I assume this thing needs at least a few weeks of conditioning?
What was your OG again? If it's light in body, likely more body won't come out with time. However, you could mess with C02 volume to adjust perceived body.
__________________

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Haputanlas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #433
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rochester Hills
Posts: 376
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
What was your OG again? If it's light in body, likely more body won't come out with time. However, you could mess with C02 volume to adjust perceived body.
OG was about 1.037 and I hit the mash temps spot on so I would guess that I should get the desired results. I bet I am just tasting green beer at this point but I was curious as to when this beer seemed to 'turn the corner' and become as great as everyone says.
__________________

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

barhoc11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #434
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Carmel
Posts: 2,867
Liked 207 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Thanks for illustrating how good pale chocolate malt is.

__________________

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

mabrungard is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #435
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,970
Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post

OG was about 1.037 and I hit the mash temps spot on so I would guess that I should get the desired results. I bet I am just tasting green beer at this point but I was curious as to when this beer seemed to 'turn the corner' and become as great as everyone says.
English Milds are not for everyone. Don't expect it to have as much body as a porter , Brown, or Amber. It's a session ale barely in the 3% ABV range.

Now with that aside, it's still possible this could get better to your tastes with time. Just know that most sessions should be ready in a very short amount of time.
__________________

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Haputanlas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #436
waverz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Trying this recipe now and is my first AG brew ever. I've done 3 extract brews recently so this is a whole new experience for me. I just popped the cherry on the mash tun and and anxious to try my new wort chiller soon.

I'm super nervous about it though. I just hope I am doing it correctly. I was originally going to brew something completely different but due to weather my LBHS didn't have all the grains I needed so I did a quick google search and ran across this recipe.

I looked it up on Beersmith but only found a recipe for a 11 gallon batch that uses a single infusion mash rather than the double batch sparge that's listed here.

I've got about 10 gallons of brew water ready to go just so I don't run out.

Just to be clear after the initial 60 minutes at 158F I vorlauf until clear, then let run in kettle till it stops, add 2.3 gallons at 170F to mash tun, vorlauf again till clear, drain into kettle and repeat?

Do I need to stir the grain bed after adding the 170F sparge water?

__________________
waverz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #437
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 663
Liked 105 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


that's the right process, and yes, add the sparge water, stir, vorlauf, run off. Good luck this is a tasty recipe!

__________________
dryboroughbrewing is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #438
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,233
Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by waverz View Post
Trying this recipe now and is my first AG brew ever. I've done 3 extract brews recently so this is a whole new experience for me. I just popped the cherry on the mash tun and and anxious to try my new wort chiller soon.



I'm super nervous about it though. I just hope I am doing it correctly. I was originally going to brew something completely different but due to weather my LBHS didn't have all the grains I needed so I did a quick google search and ran across this recipe.



I looked it up on Beersmith but only found a recipe for a 11 gallon batch that uses a single infusion mash rather than the double batch sparge that's listed here.



I've got about 10 gallons of brew water ready to go just so I don't run out.



Just to be clear after the initial 60 minutes at 158F I vorlauf until clear, then let run in kettle till it stops, add 2.3 gallons at 170F to mash tun, vorlauf again till clear, drain into kettle and repeat?



Do I need to stir the grain bed after adding the 170F sparge water?
Yes, you have the process correct, I stir after adding the water as I find this helps my efficiency. I've been stirring and splitting my sparge additions where possible into two separate sparges and this along with milling my own grain has stuck me in a consistent 87% efficiency which has allowed me to use less grain to get my target numbers.





Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM   #439
waverz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default


Thanks for the VERY quick reply guys. Not sure why I'm so nervous. I guess usually when I brew I have a step by step list so I can't screw anything up.

My mind is now at ease. I think it's time or a homebrew while I wait.

__________________
waverz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #440
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,233
Liked 154 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by waverz View Post
Thanks for the VERY quick reply guys. Not sure why I'm so nervous. I guess usually when I brew I have a step by step list so I can't screw anything up.



My mind is now at ease. I think it's time or a homebrew while I wait.

Having never brewed an extract batch, I guess I've never experienced the nervous feeling folks get while going all grain from extract.

There really isn't much difference after draining your mash tun into your kettle, and the mashing part is darned near how one makes oatmeal, and who is scared of making oatmeal?

Write down how much water to add at the beginning, figure out how much water the grain is going to absorb (I use this as my mash out addition)

Here is a generic set of numbers as an example...

I know I need to have 7 gallons pre boil and I added 3.5 gal at the mash in, then I add back my half gallon I lost to the grain absorption that means I have 3.5 gallons to sparge with, if I split it into two seperate sparges I need to add 1.75 gallons each time to hit my target in the kettle.

So that means my water additions are 3.5 gal initial amount, then .5 gal to make up for what was absorbed), then 1.75 gal first sparge, and 1.75 gal second sparge..... With it all written down ahead of time it's no more difficult than remembering your hop additions.


Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
waverz Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US Orfy English Brown Ale 417 12-02-2014 01:32 AM
All-Grain - Magoo's Mild, 3rd place in Cat 11 at 2011 HBT Comp midfielder5 English Brown Ale 5 02-08-2012 02:47 PM
All-Grain - 1635 Mild Iechyd Da English Brown Ale 0 05-27-2009 03:43 PM
All-Grain - Blimey's Mild ohiobrewtus English Brown Ale 6 09-08-2008 10:25 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS