Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #271
Coldies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtmre4u View Post
I just did this with different hops I used northern brewer and willamette and only had 4 oz chocolate do you think it will be close
This is funny, I just used those exact hops this weekend, Willamette for bittering and Norther Brewer for aroma. Kept my chocolate the same but also used Pacific Northwest Wyeast. Should be interesting. I have brewed the original recipe a lot and wanted to change it up. Will let you know how it comes out in 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #272
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will be kegging mine on the first I will let you know too.

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 11-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #273
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just did the original recipe. 5.5 gallons using my eBIAB rig. Easy and cheap ($17 w/o yeast).

I used Wyeast British Ale 1089 mi noticed the recipe a while ago and had it on my list to brew. Then I started a starter for the white house honey ale AND learned that I needed to have a keg ready for the weekend of 11/17. Ding! Perfect excuse to do your recipe. After decanting about 800ml of starter I topped it up and will have enough for my originally planned beer in a few days.

Anyway, I'll be able to report on the low end of the grain to glass range.

FYI - I used Crisp Pale Chocolate malt which is ~ L260 and described as good for milds. Perfect.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #274
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

seems like a really small grain bill for a 5 gal batch. Did I miss something or am I just in a hurry to spend more money and my brew shop??

Old 11-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #275
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherrburns View Post
seems like a really small grain bill for a 5 gal batch. Did I miss something or am I just in a hurry to spend more money and my brew shop??
This is an English brown mild, it is a low gravity session ale, so there is less grain in it than a higher gravity beer, the beer has big flavor from the malts used in it, so you get a great tasting beer with a lower ABV so it won't mess you up too bad, perfect for enjoying when you still need to get things done.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #276
christopherrburns
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a winner. Going to use this as a base for a gingerbread beer for the holidays.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #277
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Yummmm, that looks fantastic! I have been adding a bit of debittered black to this lately, I love the flavor it adds when used in small amounts!
How much have you been adding? Just curious because I was thinking of adding some as well.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 11-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #278
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
How much have you been adding? Just curious because I was thinking of adding some as well.
I substitute an ounce or two of the chocolate malt for the debittered, still working out an exact amount.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #279
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatbelt123 View Post
I just did the original recipe. 5.5 gallons using my eBIAB rig. Easy and cheap ($17 w/o yeast).

I used Wyeast British Ale 1089 mi noticed the recipe a while ago and had it on my list to brew. Then I started a starter for the white house honey ale AND learned that I needed to have a keg ready for the weekend of 11/17. Ding! Perfect excuse to do your recipe. After decanting about 800ml of starter I topped it up and will have enough for my originally planned beer in a few days.

Anyway, I'll be able to report on the low end of the grain to glass range.

FYI - I used Crisp Pale Chocolate malt which is ~ L260 and described as good for milds. Perfect.
I kegged mine today. It sat at 1.015 for a few days so I considered it done. I wasn't able to cold crash it because my fermentation chamber is occupied, but the samples were so clear I felt okay skipping this step. Also, the samples tasted very nice. I've never had a true mild (11A) but the sample definitely seemed pointed in the right direction. I did notice that mine lacks the described "fruity" aroma - I'd probably blame that on the Wyeast 1098 which is supposed to be pretty neutral.

Anyway, I'll post another update in a few days when it's carbed. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #280
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
My batch of this beer has a strong burnt flavor as well. In my case I'm thinking that it is due to the "dark chocolate" malt I was provided by my LHBS in an attempt to meet the 350-550 L that azscoob specified in the recipe. It has an almost ashy flavor. If I do this again, I'll definitely tone that back. I do however, find that the burnt flavor is actually less noticeable if I drink it warm.
Milds should definitively be drank on the warm side. Often pubs keep the milds at the same temperature as other beers and, as with bitters, you have to give them a few minutes to warm up for the maltier flavours (that in this case are pretty much all the flavours there are!) to come up.

Btw, I'll give a go at messing with this recipe on my fourth or fifth batch, I'm a big mild fan as a break from hoppy styles. Knowing me I'll probably end up adding some crystal rye

Quick Reply