Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #191
BREWCREW44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I start the boil with 7 to 7.2 gallons in the kettle and over the hour it boils down to 5.5 gallons your system may vary though, if you are unsure of the evaporation rate on your brew pot, do a test boil on a known volume of water, bring it to a boil, let it go for an hour and measure the remaining volume (I suppose you could boil for a half hour and double the boiled off volume.). with my keggle I know the evaporation is 1.5 gallons per hour so I base my pre boil volume accordingly to get my target volume post boil.

If you are still fuzzy on the process don't be shy to ask!
Hey thanks for that - I have only brewed about 4 batches with 2 turning out and 2 being epic fails so that is some good info to know going forward.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #192
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREWCREW44

Hey thanks for that - I have only brewed about 4 batches with 2 turning out and 2 being epic fails so that is some good info to know going forward.
I would rather answer a few how do I do this questions now than answer the what did I do wrong questions later!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #193
GRBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Cheers! A little roasty for my taste, but still very drinkable. Thanks.

image-2867409973.jpg

Old 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #194
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This beer is fantastic! Just thought I'd mention. I used WY 1335 and it came out great. I'd never had anything like it but now I think I'll keep this one around most of the time. Cheers.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #195
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am happy you like the recipe! Some of my friends don't suspect the roasty side of this, but quickly warm up to it and it is now a favorite of theirs.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 AM   #196
menisale
Recipes 

I brewed this on 11/15 and it came out pretty good. I took the keg up to my LHBS on Saturday and they had a couple glasses each. The feedback was good. The one true judge felt it was a little high on the bitter and maybe a little light on the malt.

So I see the errors of my way was to mash at 152 instead of the suggested 158. I assume if I had mashed at the higher temperature it would have solved both of these areas.

Thank you for the great recipe. The next time i will follow it.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #197
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menisale View Post
I brewed this on 11/15 and it came out pretty good. I took the keg up to my LHBS on Saturday and they had a couple glasses each. The feedback was good. The one true judge felt it was a little high on the bitter and maybe a little light on the malt.

So I see the errors of my way was to mash at 152 instead of the suggested 158. I assume if I had mashed at the higher temperature it would have solved both of these areas.

Thank you for the great recipe. The next time i will follow it.
Good self diagnosis, the higher mash temp sweetens it a tick and brings out the malt backbone nicely, this plays well with the bitterness to balance the beer out.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #198
Rubes
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My LHBS has Crystal malt, but I have no idea what the lovibond is on it and neither do the people who work there. It could be anything. How drastically will it affect the flavour if I use a Crystal that's too light or too dark compared to what's in the recipe?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #199
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
My LHBS has Crystal malt, but I have no idea what the lovibond is on it and neither do the people who work there. It could be anything. How drastically will it affect the flavour if I use a Crystal that's too light or too dark compared to what's in the recipe?
C-60 tastes like caramel, that's the only way I can describe it. Lighter crystal is sweeter, darker crystal is less sweet and more burnt tasting. I think this beer would turn out OK with c-40 or c-80, but it definitely wouldn't be the same. If your LHBS doesn't know this stuff, it might be time to start ordering stuff online.

On another subject, I entered this beer in a comp and it bombed. Respectively, the three other beers I entered all got over 35, and my IPA took first with a 42, but this got a 25. I don't understand...what happened? The judges all said it had a roasty, astringent taste that overshadowed the rest of the beer. Since it was BJCP and both judges had similar comments and scores, I'm inclined to believe them, but I did not notice any of the flavors they did, and I still have this beer on tap. It tastes caramely, with a slight touch of chocolate roast.

The only thing I can think is that maybe the beer changed when it warmed up during shipping or something. I have my water profile dialed, too. What could it be? I used wlp002 instead of nottingham, maybe the astringency they are referring to is the British yeast bite?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #200
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My batch of this beer has a strong burnt flavor as well. In my case I'm thinking that it is due to the "dark chocolate" malt I was provided by my LHBS in an attempt to meet the 350-550 L that azscoob specified in the recipe. It has an almost ashy flavor. If I do this again, I'll definitely tone that back. I do however, find that the burnt flavor is actually less noticeable if I drink it warm.

Quick Reply