Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #101
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I would not water it, instead rebrew and try to keep it within style on round two.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #102
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Couple of questions. I have never had this style before, but would like to brew it for a competition in September.

Can I use S-04 instead of Notty? It's what I have on hand for English yeast.
I don't have Fuggles or EKG, can I sub Styrian Goldings? Or should I use Willamette?

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #103
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

@sub the notty with s-04 and use your willamette for bittering additions, ans the holdings for flavor and aroma. Just be sure to adjust for the AA% to keep the ibu the same.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #104
Vongo
Recipes 

Time to brew this again!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #105
BeerMe82
Recipes 

First off Ill say that this was my first all grain brew constructed using the mash tun I built last week. So im pretty excited to try this one in a few weeks. The coolest thing was that I used an app on my thunderbolt that calculated strike temp so that my mash temp would be spot on, and it was, the cool part being at the end of the 60 mins, I hadn't lost a single degree. Exactly 158 the whole time. I messed up at the HBS and put in too much grain, but was only off by 3/10 of a lb with the Marris otter. That isnt much, and im not sure why I ended up with 1.042 OG at the end of my boil. I still had 5.5 gal of wort almost exactly. Worse case being I have a slightly higher gravity than prescribed, which in my book is hardly a tragedy. Some one mentioned walameete and EKG as alternate hopps to try, so I did. split them 50/50 at 45 and 15 mins. Sure hope this turns out better than my last two beers. Im dying to try it.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #106
BeerMe82
Recipes 

Something I forgot to mention was the fermentation temp situation which im a little nervous about. I couldn't get my temp below 76 (ouch), so I had to pitch so at least the thing would get rolling before the bad guys moved in. I just hope temps between 70-75 wont hurt it too much. Ive heard bad things about Notty above 65 degrees, then others reporting no off flavors higher than that, so maybe ill just have to let it go a while before kegging.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #107
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe82 View Post
First off Ill say that this was my first all grain brew constructed using the mash tun I built last week. So im pretty excited to try this one in a few weeks. The coolest thing was that I used an app on my thunderbolt that calculated strike temp so that my mash temp would be spot on, and it was, the cool part being at the end of the 60 mins, I hadn't lost a single degree. Exactly 158 the whole time. I messed up at the HBS and put in too much grain, but was only off by 3/10 of a lb with the Marris otter. That isnt much, and im not sure why I ended up with 1.042 OG at the end of my boil. I still had 5.5 gal of wort almost exactly. Worse case being I have a slightly higher gravity than prescribed, which in my book is hardly a tragedy. Some one mentioned walameete and EKG as alternate hopps to try, so I did. split them 50/50 at 45 and 15 mins. Sure hope this turns out better than my last two beers. Im dying to try it.
As long as fermentation temps have been kept in check, the other little errors shouldnt be an issue. it may not turn out like the recipe but it will be a solid drinkable beer.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #108
BeerMe82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMe82 View Post
Something I forgot to mention was the fermentation temp situation which im a little nervous about. I couldn't get my temp below 76 (ouch), so I had to pitch so at least the thing would get rolling before the bad guys moved in. I just hope temps between 70-75 wont hurt it too much. Ive heard bad things about Notty above 65 degrees, then others reporting no off flavors higher than that, so maybe ill just have to let it go a while before kegging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
As long as fermentation temps have been kept in check, the other little errors shouldnt be an issue. it may not turn out like the recipe but it will be a solid drinkable beer.
Fail sauce

Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #109
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ooh, I didnt see that last bit on my phone, I would look into an old dorm fridge and a temp controller, that was the single best upgrade I made to my process. I found an old kenmore mini fridge that fit a carboy in it if I took the blow-molded door pockets off. I also had to gently fold the freezer plate down so it was along the back wall. I later added a 12" collar to it so I could ferment 3 carboys at once in it. (I have a few pics posted up in this thread)

Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #110
BeerMe82
Recipes 

The "fail" was about my beer not your help, tnx btw. Anyhow, right now I have a kegerator so buying yet another fridge just isnt in the works at the moment, so I think ill just have to be careful of what types of brews I make in the summer months and what type of yeast I use. In the winter I could get the Ideal temps for this beer with ease. I just hope this beer is drinkable, or could be with a bit more time to rest.

Quick Reply