Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Nut Brown Ale ( very tasty )

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbo View Post
1 lb of chocolate seems to be a hell of a lot in a brown ale. What was the predicted SRM/EBC of this one? Was that a typo because I reckon that would bring it out closer to a stout or porter. In comparison, in my brown ale I had about an oz and a half (45 grams) of choc malt.
Nope not a typo . Not a stout either . A very nice nut brown . It seems like a lot of chocolate but it blends in well . Must be them extra hops at the end .
Well within the guidelines of a american brown . IBU 20 - 40 ( 35.1 ) .. SRM 18 - 35 ( 27.7 )
After a month in the bottle it mellows out into a very nice brown . It is a bit too much until it conditions good .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I just brewed a batch . made it a little different . I used .50 chocolate because the chocolate I have seems real dark a lot of almost black in it . 1.25 Lb rice 1.5 Lb oats . Fresh this year whole hops .
Now on to the bad stuff . what a day . I started off by grinding my grain which is fine to begin with and then I made a mistake that cost me some efficiency . I ground the grain into a bucket and then poured the rice and oats on top . then that went into the bottom of my tun . All that oats and rice blocked my nylon filter bag on my false bottom/filter and made it quite hard to get the water to drain through the bag . Ended up a little low on OG I think . Not sure yet as I took a sample for pre boil gravity and put it in freezer to cool and forgot it and it is now froze solid with my hydrometer in it . So my sample for OG will have to wait for the thaw so I can use the hydrometer .

Hope I do not get a nasty infection . I rinsed my 20 foot pump hose off that had been dragging on the floor in my bucket of sanatizer and forgot about it and then washed my fermentation bucket in the same solution .

this is what happens when you do not drink beer while brewing . Stupid diet I am on , no alcohol for a week .

Old 01-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #13
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

So I just bottled my latest batch . It has been in the fermenter all this time but has not conditioned since it has been at 58 - 60 degrees . It did settle out well and is nice and clean . I am not sure about the taste . Maybe after a month in the bottle it will be good . Never like browns until at least a month conditioning .
I still think I would prefer the original recipe over this one with less chocolate malt but never know till it is done .

Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
piank9800
Recipes 

So I just realized that our LHBS forgot the second addition of Fuggles (and I forgot to double check until now). We were hoping to brew today, and our LHBS is about 1.5 hours away. Should we postpone our brew day?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
troy2000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I'm thinking about brewing this, so I picked up a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to get a feel for the type. I have a cold and I'm sure I'm missing some of the nuances, but it's good stuff. I think I like it best at almost room temp....

I went to a couple of rating sites to read some reviews. I love those places. No matter what beer is being reviewed, 'that guy' is bound to show up sooner or later, and say something so entertainingly stupid that even a novice like me can enjoy it.

One reviewer apparently thinks nut brown means the beer has nuts in it:

Quote:
Pours nice dark amber colour, malty aroma, but other than that it’s pretty boring. Nuts come out a little bit with the bitterness. Boring, generally
Another one apparently believes it's a modern knock-off of genuine English brown ale (apparently he has no idea it's been brewed since the 1700's). I couldn't find that one again, but he carried on about modern brewers cramming oatmeal, nuts and everything else into classic beers, and said if he was served this stuff in a real English pub, he'd feel cheated out of his money.

Of course there were also the usual suspects who taste entire roadside produce stands stuffed into the bottle. One guy listed salted peanuts, chocolate, caramel, dark malts, dark bread, dark chocolate, more caramel, dark roasted grains with a smokey note, raisins, plums, sour lemons, vanilla, chestnuts, walnuts, almonds, more salty peanuts, leafy English hops, mild bitterness - and that was before he started discussing the aftertaste.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
durbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

@piank If it were me and my LHBS was 1.5 hr drive away I would just brew it anyway. That's a long way to go for an oz of fuggles.
Presumably you will just lose most of the aroma, but being a nut brown you probably aren't after huge aromas anyway.
But that's just me.

Quick Reply