Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #671
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

I may have spoken too soon. I'm wondering if I drank these with trub and hop matter from the first couple of pints. The more bitter samples were consumed over the weekend. Before the weekend closed out, I filled my dad's 1.75 gal keg with some of the beer fermented with WLP013. For the 002, I filled a 64 ounce growler to take to an event.

That got any trub or hops out. I went back to try both beers last night. The bitterness has backed off and the malt is in the foreground. In the 002 I get a lot of Maris otter biscuity nuttiness. In the 013, I get the coffee and chocolate I was looking for.

It tastes like I am headed in the right direction with this one. I picked up some Newcastle on the way home and tried it side by side with the 013. The Newcastle has a hint more bitterness. Mine is a little more chocolatey and a touch bigger than the Newcastle.

I had my wife (who generally only drinks stuff if it is purple and comes in a wine glass) try them, not knowing which was which. She picked the home brew as having more depth and better flavor. She thought the Newcastle was blander and had less, we'll, just less everything.

I live in a state where our alcohol distributors abuse our beer horribly. They store it in warm warehouses and none of our liquor stores can sell it cold. So I am willing to believe even a can if Newcastle will show signs of abuse here. I have had it fresh and it is still one of my favorite beers. There is a flavor i got in the commercial beer that i picked up in a can of Old Speckeled Hen i had recently. i am thinking this may just be age and poor handling.

But this new recipe is something to continue exploring. I can definitely see myself brewing the sweeter, heavier version as a fall/winter beer and switching to the drier version for spring/summer.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #672
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

the newcastle is way too bitter for the beer . I tried one and never bought another . This recipe is far superior .
I like the Lil Sparky version in the warm weather . Nice and smooth with no sticky feeling left in my mouth that I do not want when I am hot and thirsty .
EDIT : I like to let my nut browns age in the bottle for about a month . they really start tasting better .

Last edited by MarcusKillion; 08-08-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: more info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #673
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

I almost feel like I'm cheating on my house yeast. I split this batch. Half got wlp002 (my go to strain). The other half got wlp013. I have to admit I really am liking the 013 in the drier version of the beer.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #674
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Racked mine to secondary, gravity down to 1.008, as expected. May get another point or two in secondary, should finish at a very drinkable 6.7-6.9% ABV. Will post a pic or two and some tasting notes once finished and carbonated.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #675
46binder
Recipes 

53 bottles this morning. 4 weeks in secondary, beautiful brown, clear as could be. A little green, but I could drink it now as is. Can tell already its going to be a great NB.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #676
McboBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46binder View Post
53 bottles this morning. 4 weeks in secondary, beautiful brown, clear as could be. A little green, but I could drink it now as is. Can tell already its going to be a great NB.
Was it hazy? for the oats.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #677
46binder
Recipes 

Drinking it now, only 2 weeks in the bottle but tastes great. No haze, still a little green, a couple more weeks and it will be even better.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #678
amandley
Recipes 

Got this one in the mash right now. Just a couple changes to the OP. What do you think?

8.5 lbs 2 row

1 lb crystal 60

1 lb victory

.25 lb chocolate

.25 carafa

.25 honey malt

1 oz fuggles @ 60

1 oz e kent goldings @ 15

1 oz fuggles @ 15

Nottingham yeast dry

Old 09-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #679
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

looks tasty top me

Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #680
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

FYI for those of you wondering (as I was). I wanted to make a maple nut brown so I decided to use this as a base as I've made it before and loved it. I skipped on the maple syrup as everyone typically suggests and used maple extract instead. Using a few commercial beers and a 1ml dropper I put together a couple of taste tests and scaled it up from there. I found that adding 0.5 oz. of the maple extract wasn't bad, but you wouldn't be able to notice it unless I told you it was in there. 1.0 oz. had good maple aroma and flavor, but seemed to overpower the base beer a bit. So, I decided to go with 0.75 oz. I just tapped this last night and it is amazing. There's a big maple aroma and taste, but doesn't overpower the nutty/chocolately notes of the base beer. Nor is it sweet or "sticky" tasting, as I was fearing. Definitely nailed it.

Quick Reply