Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #661
46binder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just brewed this today, beautiful brown color and nutty smell, and i hit all the numbers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #662
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Been drinking away on this . Very good ! I make this with 1 LB chocolate malt . it is very tasty indeed. I also like it with the .25 chocolate malt and in fact think next time I will make it in between at .50 .
this and Cream of Three Crops are my favorite beers .

Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 AM   #663
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Greetings! Going to scale this up to a 15 gallon all-grain with the club, and want to make it a bit more fall/harvest-like, so am using some maple syrup (2-3 pounds) and considering the addition of some light spices - a bit of ginger and maybe some allspice - to reference fall flavors. I am wanting these to be in the background, as the nutty brown must be front and center, and am unsure of how much to use for 15 gallons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #664
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Make sure you read up on maple syrup additions. It's highly fermentable and will drop the final gravity and dry your beer out. Or so I've heard. Never tried it. I'm experimenting with making a maple coffee stout (Founders Canadian Breakfast stout clone). I'm trying maple syrup as the sugar at bottling and maple flavor at bottling. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #665
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
Greetings! Going to scale this up to a 15 gallon all-grain with the club, and want to make it a bit more fall/harvest-like, so am using some maple syrup (2-3 pounds) and considering the addition of some light spices - a bit of ginger and maybe some allspice - to reference fall flavors. I am wanting these to be in the background, as the nutty brown must be front and center, and am unsure of how much to use for 15 gallons. Any advice is much appreciated!

Might be easier to use maple extract. Or add it post fermentation to a keg and blend. Keep it cold, as the maple will ferment out completely and leave pretty much nothing.

I'd use B grade if you can, has more maple flavor than the prime A.

I did this recipe with maple syrup, and wasn't impressed. Could have been my choice of yeast which was the whitbred strain. I kegged and added maple in secondary, allowed it to ferment, and added again to the keg. I got the maple in there, subtle though.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #666
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking for a sanity check here. I have run the numbers and I am pretty sure I know what I did. But I figured I would double-check here.

I brewed this last fall as a 5 gallon batch. I went with the following recipe and got the following result:

Maris Otter - 9.25 pounds (77.1%)
Crystal 80 - 1 pound (8.3%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (8.3%)
Victory - .5 pound (4.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (2.1%)

Mashed at 154F

Fuggle - 4.3% - 1 ounce at 60
EKG - 5.0% - 1 ounce at 15

OG 1.054 FG 1.018 - (Yeast WLP002) Carmelly, chocolatey, malty with just a hint of UK hop flavor. To me, it occupied the space between a Southern English Brown and a Northern English Brown. Higher in gravity than a Southern. But richer and maltier than a Northern.

Fast forward to last month. I'd been listening to some old episodes of the Jamil Show and wanted to push this recipe closer to a Northern. I wanted to dry it out a bit, lighten the mouthfeel and accentuate the hops more than in my previous version. What I came up with was a hybrid of this recipe and Jamil's Northern recipe.

This was for 10 gallons

Maris Otter - 17 pounds (81.9%)
English dark crystal (75L) - .75 pound (3.6%)
Victory - 1 pound (4.8%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (4.8%)
Special Roast - .5 pound (2.4%)
Pale Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)

Mash at 151F

Fuggle 4.5% - 2 ounces at 60 (13 gallons at start of boil)
EKG 5.8% - 2 ounces at 15 (11 gallons at end of boil)

OG 1.050 FG 1.012 (WLP002) - The resulting beer is significantly drier in mouthfeel than my original beer. The hops also stand out quite a bit more. Whereas the original beer was carmel and chocolate, this one is more "toast" and darker flavors (licorice and tobacco are the only 2 the come to mind).

This version is good. The previous version was great. Instead of going "greater" I'm thinking my recipe changes pushed the beer in the direction of just good.

I reviewed those #s side by side this morning and think that I hit on a perfect storm of changes all at once. I am of the mind that the following changes dried this beer out more than I'd anticipated and I simply over-shot my mark:

1. Replaced a significant amount of the sweeter non-fermentables and body building grains (crystal and oats) with a higher percentage of base malt.

2. Hops were slightly higher in AA%. Add to that the fact that my higher boil volume by doing a 10-ish gallon vs. 5-gallon batch resulted in higher hop utilization.

3. Dropped my mash temperature 3F in the second beer. This resulted and the malt bill changes resulted in an apparent fermentation of 76% vs. my original 67%.

I'd still like to make a "less sweet" version of the original. But at this point I am wondering do I just revert to the original recipe and drop the mash temperature a bit. Or just take the new recipe but add back some of the crystal to sweeten it up a bit. I really like the complexity that the 2 types of chocolate plus the special roast give the current version of the beer. My main issue with my current result is that I dried it out enough to make the hops stand out firmer than I want.

And I am sure the special roast adds to the perception of bitterness as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #667
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would start with the original recipe and just make one change at a time so you can pinpoint what exactly was affected and how. Based on what your end goal is I would simply drop the mash temp of the original recipe from 154F to 150F. This will obviously lower the FG, dry the beer out more, and leave less residual sugars. From there you can add any other specialty malts you feel you are missing into the next batch.

That is just what I would do, but everyone is different. Regardless, let us know what you do and how it turns out. Cheers!

Gold_Robber Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #668
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Looks good!!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #669
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

[QUOTE=winvarin;5408902]Looking for a sanity check here. I have run the numbers and I am pretty sure I know what I did. But I figured I would double-check here.

I brewed this last fall as a 5 gallon batch. I went with the following recipe and got the following result:

Maris Otter - 9.25 pounds (77.1%)
Crystal 80 - 1 pound (8.3%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (8.3%)
Victory - .5 pound (4.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (2.1%)

Mashed at 154F

Fuggle - 4.3% - 1 ounce at 60
EKG - 5.0% - 1 ounce at 15

OG 1.054 FG 1.018 - (Yeast WLP002) Carmelly, chocolatey, malty with just a hint of UK hop flavor. To me, it occupied the space between a Southern English Brown and a Northern English Brown. Higher in gravity than a Southern. But richer and maltier than a Northern.

Fast forward to last month. I'd been listening to some old episodes of the Jamil Show and wanted to push this recipe closer to a Northern. I wanted to dry it out a bit, lighten the mouthfeel and accentuate the hops more than in my previous version. What I came up with was a hybrid of this recipe and Jamil's Northern recipe.

This was for 10 gallons

Maris Otter - 17 pounds (81.9%)
English dark crystal (75L) - .75 pound (3.6%)
Victory - 1 pound (4.8%)
Flaked Oats - 1 pound (4.8%)
Special Roast - .5 pound (2.4%)
Pale Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)
Chocolate - .25 pound (1.2%)

Mash at 151F

Fuggle 4.5% - 2 ounces at 60 (13 gallons at start of boil)
EKG 5.8% - 2 ounces at 15 (11 gallons at end of boil)

< snipped for space saving >

If you want more flavor less sweet then try this version . It is very good and the one I make the most although I do make both .
This is a 5.5 gallon batch but I make it 6 gallons and it comes out real good .

Just do not do as I did a couple batches back and add in 1 pound of black malt thinking I was adding chocolate , it was in a bag marked chocolate when i bought it but I thought it was looking rather dark got stupid used it any way. Very biter and I poured it out .

EDIT: I thought I might add in that this has a bit of a bitter chocolate taste so if you do not want so much you might drop it to .50 or so chocolate and the hops flavors would shine through i think . Actually next time I think I will do that . maybe even more kent at 15 min

9 Lbs pale 2 row
1 Lbs Caramel Crystal 60 L
1 Lbs Chocolate malt
1 Lbs flaked oats
.50 Lbs Victory malt
1 Oz Fuggles @ 60 min
1 Oz East Kent goldings @ 60 min
1 Oz Fuggles @ 15 min
Notty yeast

Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #670
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

This has some very interesting variations. My session, this past Sunday, was this:

15 Gallon All Grain batch

Mash @ 154 60 min (11 gal @ 168 to get there):
25 lbs pale 2-row
4 lbs Caramel 60L
1 lb Chocolate malt
1 lb Victory malt
3 lbs Flaked Oats

Batch sparge @ 170

Boil 60 min

@ 60 min 3 oz Fuggles
@ 30 min 3 oz Goldings
@ 10 min 3 tsp Irish Moss
@ flameout:

3 lbs clover honey
2 lbs maple syrup
2 Tbs allspice

Proofed the yeast @ 80 degrees using 3 cups third runnings 3x packets Nottingham dry yeast

Pitched @ 70.

OG: 1.058, FG estimate 1.008 (we have amazing attenuation with this Louisville water)

We will see how this turns out....

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Quick Reply