Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #651
brokebucket
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

ok, so I converted this to extract and got my stuff. Doing some research, it turns out I really need to mash some grain with the oatmeal in order to convert. Problem is, I dont have any available.

So, what to do?

a) throw it in and pretend it will "steep"

b) leave it out and proceed minus oatmeal.

c) ???

Any help appreciated, I am brewing this 6/23 in the PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #652
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts004 View Post
Ok in just starting, I see the recepie but how many gallons of water do you need for this recepie ? Sorry and if someone can explain ill be very happy!!!!
Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Mash Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

What you need is the following -
Use 14.69 quarts of water heated to 169.9 or about 170 degrees or so. Put that water in your mash tun . It will cool a bit . then pour in grain ( not all at once ) stir into water while pouring so you do not get any clumps or cold spots . The water will cool down to about the 154.0 degrees needed for mash . ( if not then you need to add in hot or cold water to get the temp. ) Do not worry about getting it perfect . Your beer will still be great . 150 to 154 will most likely do the job . If you get say 148 then add in a gallon of boiling water and stir it up good . If you get 159 then add in some cold water but not as much and not all at once as it cools quickly when it starts dropping . A quart at a time is good .
REMEMBER - if you add in a gallon of mash water you need to cut out a gallon of sparge water . I simply sparge until my boil volume is reached then turn off the spigot . That way it really does not matter how much you use .
Only practice will tell you what temp to use for your tun as it varies .

Sparge water . 4.21 gallons at 170 degrees . keep a lid on the pot so it does not cool down too much while sparging as it takes a while to do right . Sparge and drain mash tun at a slow rate to avoid clogging your filter . i.e. stuck sparge . Just drain your mash tun then start your sparge pouring through a strainer to spread water around . keep the top of the grain bed under a quarter or so inch of water until your boil volume is reached in your pot .

This is what I do . Others may have a different view on it . But it works and this is great beer indeed.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sparge Water: 4.21 gal at 170.0 degrees

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In - Add 14.69 qt of water at 165.9 F ...... ADD GRAIN and temp drops to this - 154.0 F .. mash for 60 min .

A note on mashing . . If you want a clean flow all time then wrap a nylon paint filter bag from paint store around your false bottom and you will never get a stuck sparge from a nice fine grind . this is mine . I am really happy with it . http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/my-n...filter-376005/

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #653
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokebucket View Post
ok, so I converted this to extract and got my stuff. Doing some research, it turns out I really need to mash some grain with the oatmeal in order to convert. Problem is, I dont have any available.

So, what to do?

a) throw it in and pretend it will "steep"

b) leave it out and proceed minus oatmeal.

c) ???

Any help appreciated, I am brewing this 6/23 in the PM.

If it is like flaked or quick oats then it is ready to go in mash . But if you are not mashing then that is another story . someone with more knowledge would be more helpful than me on that .
But ... I say this . Oatmeal is most likely for mouth appeal . Body . I think . You could leave it out and still have a real great beer .
How ever I think , THINK , that flaked oats will do fine as they have already been steel rolled and that makes them good for the steep . I think . I would use quick oats from the store .
At any rate I think you can boil oats , corn , rice etc and then they are good to go for your steep . I think .

EDIT : Here it is . the oats are for body . this guy adds them in the boil then removes them leaving the stuff for body in the wort . http://www.themadfermentationist.com...fee-stout.html

Last edited by MarcusKillion; 06-23-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: more info

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #654
brokebucket
Recipes 

Thanks for the link, Marcus. I read it and the follow up where he blogged on tasting. Turns out it didnt work out so well for him.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #655
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

yes I did not read it all and thought that putting oats in the boil was odd.
thing is it is only for body basically so you could just leave it out . But I am pretty sure that quick oats can be steeped . I read some stuff on it a while back and it had to do with the heat from being steel rolled .

edit : I bet boiling them oats for an hour made a mess . The taste would probably come out in the beer . Over cooked oatmeal is not too good . I think steeping them would only bring out the starches and sugars or what ever is in it that gives body

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #656
pollock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just finished a batch. Hit my OG at 1.058. Pitch temp a little warm at 83F, but this is Florida and I need to sleep now.
I used 1098 British and think it will be great.
My first ALL AG with no supplemental DME. Surprised my little cooler held the temps (well laid out BTW).

Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #657
brokebucket
Recipes 

I just left the oats out. Oh well, should be the kick in the nuts i need to move in to biab.

All good though, should still make a damn fine beer.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #658
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

pollock ;
I do not know about that yeast but I would say as long as it is not dumped into wort that is far hotter than temp of the yeast it should be okay . I mix in some wort to my rehydrated yeast a little at a time till the temps are close to each other . Advice from the Notty people .

brokebucket ;
I bet it is great . I think a nut brown really does not need a lot of body to be good . The great taste will over come .
I do not get the whole biab thing . seemed like a lot of work and not enough beer when I read about it .
Why not AG in a cooler ?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #659
brokebucket
Recipes 

Marcus,

Not really the place for a BIAB discussion, but short answer is simplification. IDK what you really mean by amount. Most BIAB setups are for 5 gallon batches, which is plenty for me.

Peace,

Chris

Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #660
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

thought it made smaller amounts unless you had a hoist system to lift up all that grain in a bag .

Oh well back to AG nut brown . . I just tried a bottle that is 2 weeks old almost . Not bad but I think it is going to improve a lot after a month . Was nice an smooth with no bitter taste .

Quick Reply