Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #591
LouBrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Just tapped a keg of this and it's delicious. Malty roasted nutty very balanced. Cheers and thanx.

Attached Images

Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #592
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Brewed this up yesterday. Tasted great going into the conical. Can't wait to keg this one

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #593
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

My buddy makes maple syrup and wants me to make a batch using maple sap instead of water in the next few weeks here. Naturally, there is an expectation and desire to have maple flavor in the final product. I have been thinking that a brown ale or porter would be good with a maple flavor.

I have been wanting to make this brown ale anyway, and it seems like it could be a good base for the maple beer.

My plan is to make the beer pretty much per the original recipe, except maybe using Marris Otter base to get a little more of the biscuity, etc. that it brings, use maple sap instead of water, maybe even prime the kegs w/ maple syrup, then, for flavor, add some (boiled)dark syrup to the kegs and store cold to prevent additional fermentation.

Because of the batch size (30 gallons) I will have multiple kegs to experiment with and compare. And as I use 2 fermenters, will probably split the batch with 2 different yeasts. (Thinking 04 and Notty or maybe 04 and Windsor)

If anybody has any ideas, suggestions, or tips, please let me know!

I will report back to this thread with results, etc!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #594
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

LouBrew13 ; Glad you enjoyed your beer ! I am looking forward to drinking a few bottles I have left that have been aging in my closet in a cold room all this time . Think I will wait till June .
Definitely have to brew some more

Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #595
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

sleepystevenson ; I recon you would have to take into consideration the amount of sugar in 30+ gallons of sap . May not be much really as they have to evaporate off a lot of water to make maple syrup sweet.
What is the gravity of sap ? Surely more than water .
Now I would think that this would make a beer that tasted more like a bottle of sugar free syrup . How about trying a nut brown from the store and adding in some sap to see how it would taste ?

How about pasteurize the sap and then add it in to the wort before fermenting ? that would eat up the sugar but leave the taste .

I used molasses in a nut brown and it tasted good .

Old 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #596
warriorpoet85
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just kegged this today and man it tastes good. Came out a little on the higher ABV side (6.2%) because I boiled off too much, but still can't wait for this to carb up. Going to be my best beer yet!

Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #597
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

The longer it sits the better it gets ! I sure wish I would have saved back more of it to age . I only have 4 bottles . Will wait for them to get about 6 months before drinking .

Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #598
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

I've had my batch on tap for three weeks and just love this stuff. My wife and I spent the weekend in downtown Seattle for her birthday and hit several pubs. I tried several other browns and they all pale in comparison to this Nut Brown.

This is going to be a regular part of my rotation. Good stuff!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #599
halffullpgh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have 2 batches just begging to be kegged. This will be on tap for my St. Pats day celebration.

forumrunner_20130311_132746.jpg

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."
-Homer Simpson

Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #600
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I must make a new batch of this . I have 6 cases of beer that is all most likely going to see the drain in my sink as I do not like them and one more batch fermenting that should be good . I think from now on I may just stick with this as myself and others all love it and much better amber and maybe some no boil blonde and pilsner dry hopped .

Quick Reply