Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #571
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
This is going to come out with more than that for ABV I am sure . Most of my beers get me buzz off of two of them and two liquor store beers sure would not do that . According to beer smith this will have 6.7% but I am betting on higher if you do a good mash and sparge .
Beer Smith says if you use 10 pounds 2 row and 2 pound victory you get 7.9 % and if just 10 pds 2 row 7.3%
By the way a hydrometer is inaccurate and I believe the ABV is always much higher than it says .
If you hydrometer is inaccurate, try calibrating it in distilled water at 60*. If it's reading 1.000 then it's accurate. So telling someone a hydrometer is inaccurate, is well... inaccurate.

This recipe, if you do it as listed and hit your numbers correct, it'll be 5.5%. A good mash and sparge isn't going to make this any better by much.

You might want to check your Beersmith set up, because 10# of 2 row is only 1.048 gravity if you hit an average 70 something range of efficiency. Even if you ferment it out to a bone dry 1.000, that only gets you around 6%. And you won't be fermenting a Brown out that low on purpose.

By the way if someone is trying to get a nice bready, nutty flavor, and has some Maris Otter on hand, it works well in this beer as well.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #572
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi View Post
If I wanted to bump this up to about 6% abv what would you guys recommend? Just bump the base malt or a little bit of all.
You'd want to bump mainly the base up, depending on how much higher you wanted go, perhaps the other stuff.

I think this beer is roughly 5.5% as is, so it's close enough to brew as it stands, and see before you change it up.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #573
Cgreen042389
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just made the starter for this today with a couple tweaks...

image-2735858694.jpg  

Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #574
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

the grain changes look good to me . Bet it tastes great . I am also going to make this one I think next time around as I have enough other beers . I think I will also change it up just a bit . I am thinking of a bit more hop flavor and also was thinking of the maris otter or some british 2 row lager .

Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #575
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Drinking this right now.....enjoying it right now.....very good....one of my favorite brews so far.....if you have not made this yet please do so....you will love it.

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #576
temple240
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed this today using wlp002. I tend to brew mostly pales and ipas so I'm excited to try a new style.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #577
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If you hydrometer is inaccurate, try calibrating it in distilled water at 60*. If it's reading 1.000 then it's accurate. So telling someone a hydrometer is inaccurate, is well... inaccurate.

This recipe, if you do it as listed and hit your numbers correct, it'll be 5.5%. A good mash and sparge isn't going to make this any better by much.

You might want to check your Beersmith set up, because 10# of 2 row is only 1.048 gravity if you hit an average 70 something range of efficiency. Even if you ferment it out to a bone dry 1.000, that only gets you around 6%. And you won't be fermenting a Brown out that low on purpose.

By the way if someone is trying to get a nice bready, nutty flavor, and has some Maris Otter on hand, it works well in this beer as well.
I did not mean that a hydrometer is an inaccurate way to measure gravity . I meant that it is an inaccurate way of measuring ABV . Is it higher or lower ? I do not know . I forgot .
Beer smith does say 1.048 on 10 pds .
It says for this recipe 9 pounds , Est 1.058 .

If I dug around long enough I could find what mine came out to but I forget what it was . How ever it was damned good and plenty of alcohol . Still got some in the closet conditioning . maybe in another 5 months or so I will drink them also .

Last edited by MarcusKillion; 02-02-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: more info

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #578
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:

I did not mean that a hydrometer is an inaccurate way to measure gravity . I meant that it is an inaccurate way of measuring ABV . Is it higher or lower ? I do not know . I forgot .
Actually it is an extremely accurate way to measure ABV. Few too many Nut Browns already? Lol.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #579
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

I did not mean that a hydrometer is an inaccurate way to measure gravity . I meant that it is an inaccurate way of measuring ABV.
Thats coming from the same guy that said yeast doesn't contribute flavor to a beer.
Heh heh, just breaking your chops MK
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #580
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Actually it is an extremely accurate way to measure ABV. Few too many Nut Browns already? Lol.
That is not what I read in a technical paper somewhere . How ever this is accurate as much as possible to your seeing the lines ability (76.08*(OG-FG)/(1.775-OG))*(FG/0.794) But still I say that looking at a simple hydrometer is not accurate although very close . I am sure they make much more accurate hydrometers than the ones sold to most people .
there is no way it can be accurate since temp ranges add more points and they are done in steps of degrees not 10ths or so of degrees and then you have them lines to look at while lining up with water level . It is absolutely impossible for this to be accurate .
but then what do we care about a half of a % of alcohol . I certainly do not . I use the drink test .
Best test ever . Drink four Buds or Pabst or some other wanna be beer from the store and then drink two of your home brew and see which one works best .

Quick Reply