Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #561
wobblymadman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
wobblymadman ; give it a month in the bottle and it is great .
Normally that would be a tough call, but fortunately my beer stocks are healthy just now and I can easily leave the nut brown quietly improving in the corner of there garage... three weeks from now I will crack open the first bottle. I am looking forward to it because it is my first brew using home made biscuit malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #562
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Just ordered my grains and hops (I wash my yeast). Gonna brew this weekend. $19 and that includes shipping!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #563
Soldevi
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If I wanted to bump this up to about 6% abv what would you guys recommend? Just bump the base malt or a little bit of all.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #564
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default more ABV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldevi View Post
If I wanted to bump this up to about 6% abv what would you guys recommend? Just bump the base malt or a little bit of all.

This is going to come out with more than that for ABV I am sure . Most of my beers get me buzz off of two of them and two liquor store beers sure would not do that . According to beer smith this will have 6.7% but I am betting on higher if you do a good mash and sparge .
Beer Smith says if you use 10 pounds 2 row and 2 pound victory you get 7.9 % and if just 10 pds 2 row 7.3%
By the way a hydrometer is inaccurate and I believe the ABV is always much higher than it says .

Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #565
ArnooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm close to racking my second attempt at this. My first attempt became infected but this one tastes great.

Quick question: should I clarify this with finings added to the fermenter, or should I leave or alone?

Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #566
jwm1485
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would this be a northern or southern English brown ale

Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #567
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That depends where it was brewed.....just kidding, i'm wondering the same thing. I'm curious to try BCS's version but they don't call theirs a nut brown

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #568
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Got no idea about southern , northern etc but this is the best nut brown around . I do not know who BCS is but if it is a kit then no way to compare it to this .
I make lots of nut brown customized from Muntons no boil kit and it is good but not this good . I also tried NB nut brown and it is not up to par in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #569
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Based only on the recipe... Having not tasted my version yet, it is a Northern English Brown. Southerns are lower in gravity, sweeter, may be a bit darker and more restrained on the hopping than this recipe indicates. It may even be high on the gravity for a traditional northern English Brown, depending on your efficiency.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #570
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
Based only on the recipe... Having not tasted my version yet, it is a Northern English Brown. Southerns are lower in gravity, sweeter, may be a bit darker and more restrained on the hopping than this recipe indicates. It may even be high on the gravity for a traditional northern English Brown, depending on your efficiency.
This is not sweet nor bitter . It is very smooth . Not strong tasting at all . Nothing like a Northern Brewers nut brown or a New Castle for sure .

Quick Reply