Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #521
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'll be brewing this this weekend. it'll be the final brew on my current system. and if it turns out as good as the thread makes it out to be, i may do a 10 gallon batch as the maiden voyage on my new system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #522
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am brewing this on Saturday (39 hours and counting )

Anyway...I noticed the 7 day primary and 14 day secondary.....

Normally I do not secondary my brews unless really necessary for the style, etc.......so what is the verdict on this.....is the secondary necessary? Is there a real reason for it on this particular beer?

Also, would I be looking for a 75% completion towards FG as my target to transfer to secondary?

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #523
motleybrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgortel View Post
I am brewing this on Saturday (39 hours and counting )

Anyway...I noticed the 7 day primary and 14 day secondary.....

Normally I do not secondary my brews unless really necessary for the style, etc.......so what is the verdict on this.....is the secondary necessary? Is there a real reason for it on this particular beer?

Also, would I be looking for a 75% completion towards FG as my target to transfer to secondary?
I think i read many pages deep that the OP goes from primary to keg. Don't see why you'd need a secondary with this beer.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #524
motleybrews
Recipes 

just picked up the stuff to brew this tomorrow. grains are sitting on my desk at work. man do they smell good.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #525
mgortel
Recipes 

EDIT BY POSTER.....wrong post.

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:

Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #526
mgortel
Recipes 

Quote:
I think i read many pages deep that the OP goes from primary to keg. Don't see why you'd need a secondary with this beer.
Thanks for posting that....

The reason I asked is because his original recipe post...original thread...says 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary....sounds like he changed his process...thats good...I would rather not secondary if not needed

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:

Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #527
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had this on the gas a little over a week now. Keezer was empty so I put the temp at 45 and have my pressure at 11 trying to keep this lowly carbed. Made the OPs recipe to the letter with the exception of the yeast. Went with WLP002 at 65f. Mashed at 154.5f and it left a lot of body in this one.

There's a lot going on in this one. The 002 left it clear as a bell. Light esters from the yeast with a little bit of mineral-like bite that I love in Brit beers. Nice coffee/caramel aroma. And the flavor starts with the malty, nutty slightly sweet flavor of a brown, giving just a hint of that earthy classic EKG taste as you swallow.

Excellent recipe! I need to break out my beer gun and bottle a few of these, then find a contest.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #528
motleybrews
Recipes 

Brewed it today. Just pitched the yeast and sealed the bucket. Decent brewday but I boiled off an extra gallon. 4.5 in the bucket.

It was taking forever to get to a boil so I switched tanks and had more control over the flame. Think I went a little too high. No big deal. Or it may have been when that tank ran out of gas with somewhere between 32 and 16 minutes left in the boil. May have brought it back up to a too aggressive boil, or over compensated and boiled a few too many minutes. Regardless it was a good day. If manti t'eo had won the heisman it would have been even better.

Go irish

Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #529
brett1341
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to brew this sometime this week. I was thinking of adding .75 lbs honey malt to make it a honey nut brown. Any input on this?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #530
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1341
I think I'm going to brew this sometime this week. I was thinking of adding .75 lbs honey malt to make it a honey nut brown. Any input on this?
The beautiful thing about this hobby is that we are limited only by the number of ingredients we can find on this planet.

That being said. I would not personally add honey to this. I would be concerned that it would be too fermentable and run the risk of fermenting drier than you'd want. But honey would add an interesting layer to an already complex beer. To add honey, you might consider one of these options:
1. Add less (.3 to .5 gallons) so that the beer doesn't finish too dry.
2. Mash at a higher temp. Bump up 1 or 2 degrees and make your grain contribution a little less fermentable to account for the honey.
3. Go with a less attenuative yeast strain, something that will drop out before its done eating all the honey. That should leave some of the residual character and sweetness behind from the honey.

Personally, I would go with #2. I would mash at 155 or so, and just stir the honey in at flameout. That way you don't boil off all the awesome aromatics from the honey. If you really want to make the honey stand out, you could also play with the late hop addition. Adjust for IBUs and maybe make it a 20 or 30 min addition to reduce the chance that it clouds the contribution from the honey.

Quick Reply