Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #491
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
Gonna brew this tomorrow. Does anyone see a problem with swapping out the 2-row for vienna? I have a 50 lb sack and i wanna switch out the base grain.
Should be okay. Will give you a bolder biscuity malt flavor. I think it would pair okay with it actually.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 AM   #492
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Great. Thanks. Sounds like what I'm trying to make anyways. Yum. Can't wait to start heating my strike water.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #493
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
My krausen has already dropped after 2 days at 67*... Very odd.. Still acting like it's fermenting, but was really quick I think, unless I have something odd going on.
Another note for anyone using the Whitbread 1099 yeast;

It finished FAST at 65-67*. Flocc'd out unreal quick too. I didn't check the gravity before I added the maple syrup, all 8.5oz of it in the primary, but I think fermentation took back off. Didn't get any krausen or anything, but it bubbled still. Appears to be done at around 1.019/1.018 or so. Will check it again near the weekend.

I tried to swirl the carboy a bit, as I was moving it to clean the tub out, and noticed this yeast flocculated out so good ( or bad in some cases ) that it made a rubbery frisbee in the bottom of the carboy that wouldn't even swirl and break up. Pretty crazy.

Taste was good, but I'm gonna toss some more maple in the keg when I chill it, if I didn't pick any up in my last hydro sample. Will keg it and let it sit until I have room in the keezer for it!!

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #494
SwivelHips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Brewing this again tomorrow

Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #495
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed this yesterday and made it a holiday beer.

Boiled up 2 tsp of cinnamon, .5 tsp nutmeg, .5 tsp ginger in 8 oz of water and added to the last 5 minutes of the boil. The last 2 minutes of the boil, I added a tsp on pure vanilla extract. It smelled wonderful!

Looking forward to reporting back around the holidays how this turned out. I'll be priming with brown sugar as well

Cheers!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #496
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKozak

Boiled up 2 tsp of cinnamon, .5 tsp nutmeg, .5 tsp ginger in 8 oz of water and added to the last 5 minutes of the boil. The last 2 minutes of the boil, I added a tsp on pure vanilla extract. It smelled wonderful!

Looking forward to reporting back around the holidays how this turned out. I'll be priming with brown sugar as well

Cheers!
Priming with brown sugar... I'm intrigued. Have you done this before and would it be the same weight if you were using corn sugar or table sugar?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #497
ArnooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mine was due to be bottled yesterday but I discovered that it is infected. Damn!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #498
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKozak View Post

Cheers!
Nice, I'm doing the same thing! But ill be steeping spices as a tea and adding slowly to the bottling bucket. Also will be priming with brown sugar. Good idea eh?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #499
RoKozak
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Priming with brown sugar... I'm intrigued. Have you done this before and would it be the same weight if you were using corn sugar or table sugar?
All your priming calculations can be done here!

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I've never primed with brown sugar but some national craft brews have used it, particularly in pumpkin ales. Why not for the holidays? I've heard it could take a little more time to carb...but that it tastes lovely.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #500
chrisn812
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks Lil' Sparky!

Your NBA recipe has been a favorite of the family. Lots of requests for more. Going to be cooking up my third batch of this one over the comming weekend.

ChrisN812

Quick Reply