Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #431
MrBrewEsq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn812 View Post
I wanted to chime in,

This is my first AG batch. I brewed this on Saturday night finally getting the batch into the fermentor at 1:30AM EDT Sunday morning. I pitched in some washed Nottingham yeast from a previous batch of Brewers Best Red Ale i had racked earlier that day into secondary. By the time i woke up ~8am and checked, the fermentor was bubbling nicely with a wonderful aroma.

A few questions: When I sparged with ~170dF water my temp probe said 205dF in my Igloo 5gal TUN. Is that right? I think I need a new temperature sensor. Also, my OG was 1.0645 corrected to 59 dF when I pitched making my effeciency 83%. Is that possible? If so, maybe next time I'll only use 8# 2-row.

I'm excited to drink this one...

ChrisN812
Re: 205dF in your mash tun.. I question your thermometer.. Can you or have you calibrated it recently? Calibration is easy with some boiling water.. it should read 212 dF at boil (unless you live in Denver) If yours can't be calibrated I'd think about replacing it with one that can be. With regards to your efficiency.. Sounds like you might have accidently pulled off a mashout with that high grain bed temp reading. A mashout will definitely raise your efficiency. A mashout is where you raise your mash temp at the end of the mash to around 160-165 dF. In your situation, rather than adding more hot water to raise your temp, try drawing off some of the mash liquid and heating to a boil then return it to the mash, before you set your grain bed with a recirculation step. This will take a little experimenting to get it dialed in, but it’s worth the effort. This will help to liquefy the sugars you just converted and aid in you sparge, thus raising your sparge efficiency. You are right with your comment of using less grain to get the same OG results. You didn’t say what your target OG was so I’m assuming it was lower than the 1:065 you ended up with. However, as I always say… Good beer begins at 1:060!

Good luck with your batch. Keep the faith.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #432
thx997303
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bottled my half batch of this. Tastes like it has some real potential.

We'll see in three weeks.

Primary 1: Nut Brown Ale
Primary 2: Irish Red
Primary 3: Apfelwein
Bottled: . Simple Wheat. Apfelwein. Belgian White. More Apfelwein. Nut brown ale, Black Porter. Russian Imperial Stout.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #433
git_dr1
Recipes 

I made this verbatim to the original recipe and just transferred to the secondary after 14 days. I am going to leave this for another week or two before kegging but I can't imagine it improving much in flavor. I am sure I'll make this one again.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #434
DustjunkieScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gotta give props where props are due. I made this 3 months Ago and entered it in my first competition today. Text from the owner of the beer garden. ....... The certified beer judge awarded your nut brown 2nd place in the specialty category out of 37 homebrews. Congratulations on a great beer. You can pick up your medal when you get a chance.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #435
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustjunkieScott View Post
Gotta give props where props are due. I made this 3 months Ago and entered it in my first competition today. Text from the owner of the beer garden. ....... The certified beer judge awarded your nut brown 2nd place in the specialty category out of 37 homebrews. Congratulations on a great beer. You can pick up your medal when you get a chance.
Sweet! Well done!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #436
eviljay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Doing this Sunday, going to attempt to use this as a base for a coconut brown. Wish me luck!

Old 07-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #437
Laszlo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is my first post here. I just had to acknowledge this recipe; one of the tastiest brew I ever made. Thanks Sparky.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #438
Taco29wps
Recipes 

Default Can't even wait!

Just bought all the grain and hops today! Gonna rock it out this weekend. I will post the results as soon as the brew is frosty!

Thanks for the recipie...

Taco

Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #439
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Just got all of my ingredients for this and will be brewing it up on Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #440
Touristbob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewed this on Sunday, got a OG of 1.060, little high, reading today is 1.014. Tastes great already. Thanks for the great recipe.

Quick Reply