Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #401
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It FINISHED at 1.055? That seems like it didn't even start to ferment I have read a few recipes that used real pecans and the key seems to be to roast them a few times, wicking away the oil with each step using paper bags.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #402
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
It FINISHED at 1.055? That seems like it didn't even start to ferment I have read a few recipes that used real pecans and the key seems to be to roast them a few times, wicking away the oil with each step using paper bags.
Typo on my part. Should have said 1.005.

I've never worked with any fat in a brew, so I'm not sure. Just did a bit of research when considering brewing up a pecan pie porter clone (Clown Shoes). The folks at Clown Shoes say they use flavoring vs. using actual pecans.

My version of this recipe took about 3 weeks to get to FG. OG was 1.060. I used the Wyeast 1469 yeast. I don't think I airated the wort well enough, it was slow to start, and never really blew the top off the fermenter like I was expecting it would. Still, what I put in the bottles tasted pretty good (it's fairly dry, but has a nice toasty quality about it).

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 12-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #403
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

after 3 weeks in the keg, this beer is really tasty. i find its very balanced between the chocolate and caramel tastes. i wish mine would clear up though, its still as cloudy as day 1 and i cold crashed before transfer too. i think the next batch i do, i'm going to do natural carbing with some priming sugar in the keg, and just let it sit for a while.

but everyone loves this beer, even though its cloudy. its got a nice buzz too as mine came in at about 5% abv, and its so drinkable you don't really realize how much you've had until your light headed..

newby

Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #404
Primevci
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

is this a pretty light nut brown? the ones i did in the past seem way darker then this....this looks like a amber to me...

Keg 1: No Name IPA
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Cream Soda "Kids"
Primary 1 = Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 = Alaskan Amber Clone
Primary 3 = ApelfWein

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #405
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

It's not real dark, but it's not an amber. It definitely has the color and taste of a nut brown.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #406
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Tasted the first bottle on Friday. Mine turned out pretty dark, but WOW is it GOOD!! I got a bit more minerally quality out of the yeast, but it tastes fantastic and is spot on for a nut brown ale. It's only been in the bottle 2 weeks (and already carbed up enough to drink). Another few weeks in the bottle and I'll be ready to hand this out to friends.

Great recipe! Will definitely brew this again.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #407
kevin476
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this a few weeks ago but I subed Liberty and crystal hops, put in the keg yesterday and its gonna ned to sit a few day but seems delicious so far. The only problem I had was the first pouch of nottingham was bad..

Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #408
coroboto
Recipes 

I just brewed a (extract partial grain) Nut Brown yesterday that is based off of Dragon's Milk Brown Ale. I have that book of 250 recipes from BYO and it looked like a good Brown. posted: http://hopville.com/recipe/1138839/american-brown-ale-recipes/oak-grove-nut-brown-ale at Hopville. I was tweaking grain content for a 6.5 gallon batch and I think it may have gone a little bit Imperial and was wondering about doing less or no roast barley and subbing in oats. I think this substitution would work for the style of beer and the alcohol content of 7.1.

comments appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #409
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I brewed a batch of this last May and it turned out pretty good so, I brewed another batch of it last week. Last time I used Nottingham. This time I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast. Two more weeks until I tap it...

Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #410
MeanGreen
Recipes 

I've had this recipe bookmarked for awhile

Just got in some Texas Pecan Roasted Coffee. Might be a perfect base for a Coffee Brown Ale

Thoughts

Quick Reply