Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #391
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I kegged my 10 gallon batch that I made on Nov. 2nd yesterday. Did not end up with as low FG as I was hoping for, only got to 1.020 but started with 1.063. Mash efficiency was at 95%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #392
pinback
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

why does the recipe on brewmasterswarehouse.com have 2 packages of danstar nottingham yeast, and the recipe here has only 1 package?

I only used one, so I'm just wondering should I add another?

newby

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #393
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Who knows. You definitely don't need 2 pkgs of yeast for a 5 gal batch if the yeast is good and pitched properly. Maybe they put 2 in there in case one doesn't take off - happens sometimes.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #394
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver
Did not end up with as low FG as I was hoping for, only got to 1.020 but started with 1.063. Mash efficiency was at 95%.
Check your hydrometer with some 60 degreeF water. My guess is it is off because nobody gets 95% mash efficiency. I'm thinking both your readings are too high... Indicating you need a new hydrometer. I've had offset hydrometers too, seems semi-common from what I've seen.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #395
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatschmaltez View Post
Check your hydrometer with some 60 degreeF water. My guess is it is off because nobody gets 95% mash efficiency. I'm thinking both your readings are too high... Indicating you need a new hydrometer. I've had offset hydrometers too, seems semi-common from what I've seen.
Hydrometer is dead on. I am using a clone of Kal's Electric Brewery which gets 90 to 95 percent efficiency all the time. I set my beersmith to adjust accordingly.

Barry

Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #396
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Hmm, my advice would be to use 2 packs of yeast next time, at 63 OG, you may even want to consider 3 packs. Also, if you want to ensure you have fermentables, mash at 145 and then 155 for 45 minutes each. Also make sure you ferment around 60 or so for Notty... Otherwise, consider using Cali with proper starter and aeration.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #397
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
Hydrometer is dead on. I am using a clone of Kal's Electric Brewery which gets 90 to 95 percent efficiency all the time. I set my beersmith to adjust accordingly.
95% is indeed what I get. Though consistent efficiency is more important than high efficiency (IMHO).

Back on topic:

I would check to make sure you actually mashed at where you think you did, make sure to aerate well, make sure you ferment at the right and stable temp, and pitch a little over 1 pack of Notty per 5 gals for a 1.063 OG beer. 2 is certainly a lot but not overkill. 1 pack should be fine however, especially if you ferment at around 68F.

There's also been issues with Nottingham recalls in the past so who knows - maybe you've got a bad one?

Kal

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #398
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I did this brew two weeks ago and substituted 2row for Maris otter and hit 1.064

Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #399
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This recipe has been pending on my "to brew" list for a while and it will be my next brew. However, I recently ran into a recipe for a Pecan Brown Ale that intrigued me. It seemed a bit overly sweet for my taste though. Would this recipe make a reasonable base for adding pecans? Pondering the possibilities.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #400
Mermaid
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
This recipe has been pending on my "to brew" list for a while and it will be my next brew. However, I recently ran into a recipe for a Pecan Brown Ale that intrigued me. It seemed a bit overly sweet for my taste though. Would this recipe make a reasonable base for adding pecans? Pondering the possibilities.
I think so. I would stick to pecan "flavoring" though (like the Loran's candy flavoring), maybe with a small amount of caramelized "sugar" (which would dry out, but leave the "caramel" essence), and then some lactose for creamyness.

From all I've read, you don't want to use actual "pecans" as there's some sort of bad chemistry that goes on with using fats in brewing.

This is a really nice, simple recipe. Mine finished at 1.055. It's carbing up / conditioning in the bottles right now.

-------------------------
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty!
an empty fermenter is a sad fermenter
Bottled: Nut brown ale, Bink blond clone (she's a bitter Belgian!) Belgian Wit, several other tasty beers that have since been consumed!
On deck: TBD

Quick Reply