Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #31
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Gentlemen.... Lil' Sparky's Brown Ale recipe won an award...

Lancaster County Brewers Showdown Results - Lancaster County Brewers Club - Pennsylvania beer sampling homebrew microbrew

My version of Sparky's recipe got first for category 4 (which seems to be a combination of the BJCP's (BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index) categories 10 and 11, encompassing American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American Brown Ale, English Mild, English Southern Brown Ale, and English Northern Ale.

Just wanted to give proper credit and let people know that this recipe is AWESOME!!! Thank you Lil' Sparky!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 11:34 AM   #32
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts

Dude, that's awesome! I'll have to tell my buddies I'm a famous brewmaster now.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #33
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

donner - the cascade hops will provide a different hop characteristic and result in a different tasting beer. Not that you won't be pleased with it, it'll just have a different flavor, that's all.

I haven't had a commercial beer that's really close to this. I've been looking for one I can point to. Anyone else?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #34
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
Dude, that's awesome! I'll have to tell my buddies I'm a famous brewmaster now.
Ha! I'm entering it into The Land of the Muddy Waters homebrew contest in November. I had to alter the hops (Willamette/Goldings) but the grain bill is yours. It's really a nice brown ale.

My only problem is that it's a bit under-carbed. I think it's perfect out of the tap, but when I bottled a few as a test and let them sit a few days they seemed a bit flat for bottle pouring. I'm sort of running out of time to alter the carbonation and bottling some more. So if you're not a double winner, it'll be my fault.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Last edited by StunnedMonkey; 10-28-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
I haven't had a commercial beer that's really close to this. I've been looking for one I can point to. Anyone else?
I haven't had a Bell's Best Brown in about 5 months, but as I was drinking Deez Nutz last night, I was feeling the Bell's. Just because this is a slightly hoppier brown ale... Might be way off though.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #36
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
donner - the cascade hops will provide a different hop characteristic and result in a different tasting beer. Not that you won't be pleased with it, it'll just have a different flavor, that's all.

Yeah, i knew the different hops would change the taste a bit. I went with this recipe in part to use the Arg. Cascades i had in the freezer. The guy at the LHBS said that the Arg. Cascades were more like fuggles and should sub well. I'm excited to see how it all turns out as this was my first successful solo brew.

***For those who don't know what to expect from Arg. Cascades (i didn't before now), this is what northern brewer has on its site***
Quote:
Argentina Cascade

These Argentinian-grown Cascades are not like American Cascade - they have a very mellow and sweet character that reminds us of lemon grass, with herbal, peppery, and spicy undertones. A versatile hop to use for ales and lagers - strangely, with its sweet/spicy aroma this hop would make a good substitute for Hallertau-type and Goldings-type hops, but not a good substitute for American Cascade!

Last edited by Donner; 10-28-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: educational info

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #37
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this as my first brown ale all of 19 days ago and am enjoying my second pint out of the keg. It is green, I can tell, but as it mellows this is going to be fantastic. I had some problems with my boil, but got it to where I needed to be volume and number wise. As I drink the hops aren't readily apparent, but linger helpfully in the background. The note I'm getting the most of is coffee. There's a coffee aroma, clean taste, dryish finish, and a strong coffee after-note. This after-note is what I think will subside after another week or so. Then it will be a nearly perfect brown in my estimation.

I have another, unrelated, question on procedure. When I make this beer or any beer someone else came up with, is it bad form in generally to adopt it and name it whatever you want? I'm relatively new to this fantastic hobby and, as a former English major, feel a strong inclination to site sources and give proper credit. I can see that you don't have a problem with it, but I didn't know about the general consensus.

Thanks for the recipe. I'm enjoying it already.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #38
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think most of us make up our own names for beers to put on our bottles so I think your OK. By the way I'm making this recipe tomorrow but I'm going to put juniper berries in it for a special holiday brew. Originally I was going to do a juniper pale ale but I think the profile of a nut brown will support the juniper very well.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #39
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

I doubt anyone here really cares if you rename their recipe. You made it. Call it what you want. We're all here to help each other. The only reason I would post a recipe is because I liked it and thought others might, too.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 AM   #40
Deacon1856
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

And I for one am glad you do post. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply