Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #371
MacGruber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just brewed this again. This time I hit all of my mash temps. I made some adjustments as indicated by the (*):

10 lbs 2 row terrified barley
.5 lbs Victory
*.35 lbs Weyermann Chocolat WHEAT malt* - (I like wheat and was going for head retention)
1 lb Flaked Oats

1 oz Fuggles 60 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings 15 min.

*1 pkg London ESB Ale - Wyeast 1968* (I wanted a maltier/sweeter beer with less attenuation and greater flocculation)

Did a decoction because I wasn't hitting my mash temp. Mashed at 154 for 75 min. Boil for 60. Primary at 65 for 3.5 weeks, then diacetyl rest for 2 days due to the tendency for this yeast strain to produce diacetyl. Kegged for 2 days at 20 psi, bled the excess CO2, serving pressure at 8-10 psi.

This is the BEST beer I've brewed. I brewed it before, but missed my mash temps due to a broken thermometer and it was just "okay". Thank you so much Lil' Sparky for the recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #372
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 33 Posts

You're welcome. Glad it turned out like you were hoping!

Old 08-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #373
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anyone tried this recipe using some Special B in place of the crystal?

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #374
trojandux
Recipes 

I am going to try this recipe out this weekend. I am doing a partial mash and am going to be subing 4lbs. of light DME, and still using 2 lbs of the American 2 row. When I am mashing I can mix all of the steeping grains with the mashing grains correct? I was just going to follow Sparky's mash schedulle and original recipe. I have also never used Noghtingham yeast or a dry yeast for that matter. Do I just rehydrate like the package says or is there some other way? How does just sprinkling it in the fermenter work? Also I was going to use the following which I got from using the original wieght to water ratios to the new weight of the grain and it is:

Use 1.5 gallon for Partial Mash. @154 Sparge with 2 gallon @168, which will give a 3.5gallon Boil. Add DME and complete boil, etc./ cool and bring up to 5.5 gallons with cool H2O.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks I can't wait to try it.

Scott

Last edited by trojandux; 09-15-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Added

Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #375
Fighthouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojandux View Post
I am going to try this recipe out this weekend. I am doing a partial mash and am going to be subing 4lbs. of light DME, and still using 2 lbs of the American 2 row. When I am mashing I can mix all of the steeping grains with the mashing grains correct? I was just going to follow Sparky's mash schedulle and original recipe. I have also never used Noghtingham yeast or a dry yeast for that matter. Do I just rehydrate like the package says or is there some other way? How does just sprinkling it in the fermenter work? Also I was going to use the following which I got from using the original wieght to water ratios to the new weight of the grain and it is:

Use 1.5 gallon for Partial Mash. @154 Sparge with 2 gallon @168, which will give a 3.5gallon Boil. Add DME and complete boil, etc./ cool and bring up to 5.5 gallons with cool H2O.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks I can't wait to try it.

Scott
For hydrating the yeast, here is what I do. I would take a small glass, and fill it with ~4oz of ~90°F water. Pour the yeast on top of the water, and cover with tin foil. After 5 minutes, stir the yeast around. I would pitch it no more than 30 minutes after stirring it.

Also, make sure all of the items you use have been sanitized.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #376
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Brewed this last night as my second batch ever! Thanks for the recipe, it looks great.

I was thinking of just leaving it in the primary the full time. Any reason to switch to a secondary?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #377
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 33 Posts

Lots of debate there, but I say it'll be fine. Just leave it long enough to clear good.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #378
brando632
Recipes 

Anyone have good results using some honey malt in this recipe? I haven't made the original recipe, and if no one has any results using honey malt I'll try the original before playing around. I'm thinking replace some of the crystal malt with the honey malt.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #379
JadeDone
Recipes 

I just kegged this and even flat and room temperature, it is really wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Nut browns are one of my husband's favorites and I know he is going to want this one often!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #380
foremoler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to try this recipe this afternoon with a few modifications I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
I'm upping the fermentables due to an inefficient mashing process/tun.

11 2-row
3 pils base
12 oz crystal
4 oz vienna
2 oz roasted barley
8 oz victory
4 oz chocolate
8 oz flaked oats
2 oz wheat (head retention)

1 oz fuggles - boil
1 oz goldings - 15

I might add some nut or maple extract at bottling depending on the taste.

wyeast 1056

EDIT-----------------------------

Turned out fantastic! Also, it started at 1.065 and believe it or not ended at 1.01!

Last edited by foremoler; 10-08-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply