Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #361
Toad32
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
Oh, and welcome to the forum. I just noticed this was your first post. Cheers
Thank ya sir!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #362
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
so after reading all the great reviews i decided to make this my AG brew. My lhbs only had .25lbs flaked oats so i subbed .75lbs with flaked barley. I'm sure it will still be a good beer, but i was wondering what the flaked barley will have on the flavor/profile of the beer?
You can also use Quick Oats for the flaked oats. They're typically cheaper than what the lhbs has on hand too.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy! I'm planning on bottling my first batch of either this week or next. It tastes great and that's just from the fermenter!

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #363
Ubog
Recipes 

Just brewed a BIAB variation of this today. Went with EKG for both additions. Will let yall know how it finishes.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 AM   #364
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Tapped this earlier. I am very pleasantly buzzed now. Very easy drinker. My first time using a dry yeast (Nottingham). I would like to brew anotther batch using a Wyeast 1056, just to compare. I am a relative noob (been brewing all grain for about a year) and don't have a grasp on the different flavors of yeast yet.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #365
Dekreped
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninmules
Tapped this earlier. I am very pleasantly buzzed now. Very easy drinker. My first time using a dry yeast (Nottingham). I would like to brew anotther batch using a Wyeast 1056, just to compare. I am a relative noob (been brewing all grain for about a year) and don't have a grasp on the different flavors of yeast yet.
Hey what's up I just bought that extract kit as well from morebeer but I happen to mix up the LME with American pale 2 do you think the LME are the same or different with nut brown ale?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #366
burninmules
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have never brewed an extract beer before so, I can't really speak on that. I jumped full on into AG.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #367
SatelliteGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I figured I'd check in to say that I have this one almost gone. Although it could've used some improvement, it was my first attempt at a partial mash, so I'll chalk it up as a success.
It didn't hold a head for any appreciable length of time, but that was probably due to "operator error". It also had a bit of an "alcoholy" taste to it, but that was gone in the more recent ones I opened; I imagine it must have dissipated with time, leaving what I consider to be a pretty damned good beer!

Primary: nothing.
Bottled: JLem's Jim's Oatmeal Stout #1 (brewed 26/02/11, bottled 14/06/11)
Almost gone: Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown Ale - partial mash (brewed 15/01/11, bottled 06/02/11) -- two bottles left, trying to save those.
Gone: Cooper's English Bitter (brewed 10/09/10, bottled 08/10/10, gone 14/01/11) -- first batch.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #368
TravisT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteGuy View Post
I figured I'd check in to say that I have this one almost gone. Although it could've used some improvement, it was my first attempt at a partial mash, so I'll chalk it up as a success.
It didn't hold a head for any appreciable length of time, but that was probably due to "operator error". It also had a bit of an "alcoholy" taste to it, but that was gone in the more recent ones I opened; I imagine it must have dissipated with time, leaving what I consider to be a pretty damned good beer!
I'm no expert but if you let the beer get too hot(above 72ish) during its primary fermentation it will get a off flavor, it kinda tastes like alcohol. I've tasted beers that got above 78drgrees and it had a alcohol taste, even though it was a 5-6% beer.
That being said i have had this in bottles for about 3 weeks now and i have a "green apple" taste to it. I took a bottle to my LHBS and he said that he could definitely taste green apple... will this go away with time? I think i might have under aerated it.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #369
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

I've read that green apple taste probably means there's some Acetaldehyde. Could be that your beer didn't fully finish fermenting, or that it's young. How long did you secondary to let the yeast clean up after themselves? It'll probably clear up w/ some time as it bottle conditions.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #370
Ubog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubog View Post
Just brewed a BIAB variation of this today. Went with EKG for both additions. Will let yall know how it finishes.
This beer turned out good. Started a little sweet but it has dried out a bit. I like a little more nutty flavor. i might bump the victory up to 1lb next batch.

Thanks for the recipe.

Quick Reply