Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Nut Brown AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #201
Schwoopty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just racked this from primary to the keg after 9 days on the yeast. It attenuated perfectly, nailed the FG at 1.011 and my OG was 1.054. The hydrometer sample tasted a bit odd but I'm notching that up to the temp at 66 and the EKG still being more promenent since it is young. The aroma was wonderful and exactly what I had expected. Color, perfect. I can't wait a month or two before it mellows out. I'll probably pull one off in 2 weeks and see where it's at. Thanks for the recipe, it's going to be great.

Oh, I plan on putting this into a few bottles to enter it into our club only competition. I'll keep you posted on the results!

On Deck - Celebration Ale Clone
Primary - Itchy Nut Brown Ale
Kegged - S&S Kolsch, Lagunitas Censored Ale Clone
Bottled - Irish Draught Ale, Chocolate Cinnamon Stout, Alaskan Amber Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #202
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool, I just kegged mine tonight as well. It's my first beer ever. I am impressed, what a great recipe. I think I am going to get a very nice response to this on Super Sunday!

Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #203
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So, is there a consensus yet on the best liquid yeast to try? 1028 maybe? I'm only looking at using liquid because I think I'm gonna wash the yeast and reuse to make this beer many many many times

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #204
jlpred55
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
So, is there a consensus yet on the best liquid yeast to try? 1028 maybe? I'm only looking at using liquid because I think I'm gonna wash the yeast and reuse to make this beer many many many times

Thanks!
Don't use WY1335- I did not like the result.

Kegged: Millenium Galaxy IPA, German Pilsner. Apricot Blonde Ale, ACE Witbier, ACE American Wheat.
Bottled: Smoked Red Rye, Old Tanglefoot Barleywine, Tripel, Dubbel, American Farmhouse Ale

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #205
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post

Thanks!
I've used Notty, 1099, and 1028. I would not use 1099 again. 1028 was pretty good, but my fav. was Notty. It really accentuated the "nutty-ness" of the beer. Notty would be my preference when I brew this one again.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #206
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

And Nottingham is cheap enough that you don't have to worry about washing the yeast. Of course, you can always just throw a new batch on the yeast cake - even with dry yeast.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #207
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky View Post
And Nottingham is cheap enough that you don't have to worry about washing the yeast. Of course, you can always just throw a new batch on the yeast cake - even with dry yeast.
Good call Sparks,

If it's notty that makes the beer good, then notty it is!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #208
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually used English 2-row as my base malt for this one. Just tasted my hydrometer sample yesterday, soo yummy! Its amazing what putting certain malts together will produce, as far as I can tell, great recipe.

Last edited by gtpro; 02-06-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #209
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lil sparky, how did it work out with some munich in there?

and i see hugh said not to use 1099, i have a bunch stored that i use on my american brown that i like, any reason to stay away from it?

Last edited by flyerwire; 02-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #210
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Duffman's got the nut brown in the bag! I followed the recipe pretty closely only substituting Willamettes for both additions. They were 7.8 AA so I only added about .75 oz for the first addition and .5 for the second addition. I don't know if this was meant to be way malty or more balanced, but I think I'll be somewhere in the middle.

I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette! And I can't wait to break her in! Thanks Sparky!

Quick Reply