British Brown Ale New Castle Clone - Accidental

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I'm still new at this. Since I got 1 oz of Target, I think I will add the rest as a late hop addition. Will let you know. That is the great thing about this hobby. :D

Well this is scheduled for my next brew day. Hows the brew with the late addition? I know its stepping away from being a clone, but im interested in your brew.

Jupapabear

This is on deck for my next brew. Thanks for sharing! My water is very hard, so I'll probably dilute 50% with RO. Sound about right? Also, is 2 vols. CO2 good for kegging? I have'nt finished my keezer yet, but this will be on tap#4. Can't wait! :mug:

This is on deck for my next brew. Thanks for sharing! My water is very hard, so I'll probably dilute 50% with RO. Sound about right? Also, is 2 vols. CO2 good for kegging? I have'nt finished my keezer yet, but this will be on tap#4. Can't wait! :mug:

My pipe line is getting low, so I'll start brewing again in a few weeks. This is number four on my list. I plan on kegging mine at 2.3 vols of Co2 with table sugar. Beer smith says to use 1.70 oz of sugar for a five gallon batch.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well, today is the day finally. Several other brew sessions got in the way, I got the grain bill ready yesterday, ill report back with my results. I am doing the all MO version, and I think I'll mash at 156 to try and keep it malt forward to fit the style.
Cheers!

Mission complete, and it's bubbling away in the fermenter! OG 1.056, which I think the OP came in at 1.048(?). I also threw in some yeast nutrient, and this was the first time I got to use my oxygen system. I threw this on. A yeast cake of 1968, which had been sluggish on the last batch. I though maybe it was from setting in my refrigerator for a few months. Sweet to see it going full bore keeping the air lock rock'n. I'll report back with an update and pictures when complete.

I have had this recipe on my list for a while and just picked up the bill this evening. I can't wait to brew this weekend.

This is a great beer, and I am going to brew another batch within a month or two. I did use Maris Otter for the first batch and English pale malt on the second. I found the English malt made a good brown ale, but the Maris Otter really made the flavor profile jump out. My opinion is this recipe is better than New Castle. Only change I'll make this round is changing from Wyeast 1968 to S-04 this time. Just curious if I can get the same or similar results for less $.

Just brewed this yesterday using BIAB. I used 9 lbs of MO since midwest only sells by the pound so I just left the extra half pound in there. Still trying to dial in my system so I ended up with 5.75 gallons into the fermenter with a OG of 1.052, pitched two packets of the wyeast london ESB. My swamp cooler in the basement is reading 62 degrees right now so I think I may need to warm it up a little to kick the fermentation in.

This is a great beer, and I am going to brew another batch within a month or two. I did use Maris Otter for the first batch and English pale malt on the second. I found the English malt made a good brown ale, but the Maris Otter really made the flavor profile jump out. My opinion is this recipe is better than New Castle. Only change I'll make this round is changing from Wyeast 1968 to S-04 this time. Just curious if I can get the same or similar results for less $.

Did you sub the MO for the pale malt called for in the OP's recipe or for the Vienna as well?

I used MO for the first batch, English pale malt fir the second batch. They were very similar, but I felt the MO was better. One thing I realized after my above post was I used English pale malt, but I was also a few pounds short which made a smaller brown ale, but still very good. My third batch which I had everything up to par by the hydro samples its just like the first original batch. I felt it was head and shoulders above New Castle.but still in the same vain. I used 1968 in all three batches, it's just to good to change.

I used MO for the first batch, English pale malt fir the second batch. They were very similar, but I felt the MO was better. One thing I realized after my above post was I used English pale malt, but I was also a few pounds short which made a smaller brown ale, but still very good. My third batch which I had everything up to par by the hydro samples its just like the first original batch. I felt it was head and shoulders above New Castle.but still in the same vain. I used 1968 in all three batches, it's just to good to change.

Forgive me please if I seem dense ...

If I understand correctly you used about 8 1/2 lb. MO instead of any Vienna or Pale Malt? If I have that right then its all good for me as I already have about 40# left of a bag of MO and can make it this weekend. If I need some Vienna then it means a trip to the LHBS.

Cheers!

Wow . This is a way simplified version vs the BYO recipe. I was going to do that one until I read the directions. If I recall it was a splitboil. Not worth it for Brownwiser.

Wow . This is a way simplified version vs the BYO recipe. I was going to do that one until I read the directions. If I recall it was a splitboil. Not worth it for Brownwiser.

I didn't read it as a split boil. Just followed the thread all the way through and found several answers to my questions about the malt bill (duhh). Thanks to all who have posted to this thread. This is #2 in my list for upcoming brewing sessions.

Cheers!
:mug:

This has become my house brown ale. It's is FAR more flavorful than New Castle. I recently did another batch, which is bulk aging in the keg now. It's part of my fall/winter beers I started doing this month. This the third or fourth time I did this recipe and just love it. I also get rave reviews from friends and family how it is so much better than local brew pub offerings. If you like brown ales, do yourself a favor you won't regret it!!.......

This has become my house brown ale. It's is FAR more flavorful than New Castle. I recently did another batch, which is bulk aging in the keg now. It's part of my fall/winter beers I started doing this month. This the third or fourth time I did this recipe and just love it. I also get rave reviews from friends and family how it is so much better than local brew pub offerings. If you like brown ales, do yourself a favor you won't regret it!!.......

Do you follow the OP's original recipe?

Yes as far as I know, I would have to go back and look, here is what I am doing.
8.5 lb Maris Otter
12 oz chocolate malt (350 srm)
8 oz aromatic malt
8 oz cara-pils
8 oz crystal 80L

0.60 nugget @ 60 minutes
1968 London ale yeast
152 degrees for 60 minutes
Primary for two weeks
Cold crash, then I keg.
And as I said before, this is FAR better than New Castle, but is certainly in the style of.

I am in the middle of brewing Yoopers Dead Guy Ale for the second time, another big hit around here!!

Here is another that I do which I feel is very close to New Castle

10 lb two row (domestic)
12 oz crystal 60L
8 oz cara-pils
3 oz roasted barley (300 srm)

1.85 oz northern brewer

Safale #S-04 for yeast, I just kegged my second batch this morning but i used 1968 London ale yeast.
Mash at 152 degrees for 60 minutes.
This is at 81.9% efficiency it came in at 6.0% abv which is a little high.

Nice, many have tried it and liked it. I am planning to brew this one again but subbing the base malts with 100% MO. Dustjunkyscott used biscuit and found it even closer, so I am thinking the MO will be spot on

I will be brewing this next brew day. Just wanted to confirm the recipe.
#9 MO
#1/2 aromatic
#1/2 caramel 80l
#1/4 chocolate
.5 oz nugget 60 min

Wyeast London esb
Mash at 154f. 60 min
Going to leave in primary for 2 weeks.
How does this sound?:mug:

I saw this recipe, ran to my local home brew store in Bethlehem PA, picked up all the ingredients and brewed this. My color is a little darker than New Castle, but the wort tasted AMAZING ! ! !

I plugged everything into BeerSmith 2.

I ended up with 6 gallons post boil cause my attention wandered during the sparge so I got a little more than I wanted. Even so, my O.G. was 1.048.

I can't wait to taste this ! ! ! !

Going to be brewing this next in a 2.5 gallon batch.

4.25# MO
6oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Aromatic (what is this? Sorry for the noob question)
4oz Cara-Pils
4oz Crystal 80L
2oz Biscuit (just cause I love biscuit)

0.30 Nugget @ 60
1968 London ale yeast if I can find it
152 for 60

It'll be a few weeks, but this will be a staple I'm sure. I love some brown ales and if this is better than Newcastle, I will use this to bust into my 5+ gallon brews and just always have it around.

Thanks for this thread and all the awesome info folks!

Going to be brewing this next in a 2.5 gallon batch.

4.25# MO
6oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Aromatic (what is this? Sorry for the noob question)
4oz Cara-Pils
4oz Crystal 80L
2oz Biscuit (just cause I love biscuit)

0.30 Nugget @ 60
1968 London ale yeast if I can find it
152 for 60
Been asked twice and I don't see an answer yet. Please help us Noobs!

I will be brewing this next brew day. Just wanted to confirm the recipe.
#9 MO
#1/2 aromatic
#1/2 caramel 80l
#1/4 chocolate
.5 oz nugget 60 min

Wyeast London esb
Mash at 154f. 60 min
Going to leave in primary for 2 weeks.
How does this sound?:mug:

Finally got around to brewing a batch of this recipe. Actually made it up almost identical to yours. I did use British medium crystal instead of the c80 and I had some Target hops and decided to use them. Not much difference in IBU but more English (wonder if it'll make any difference?). Will post how it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!

This beer has now been kegged and has carbed up properly. I've been serving it for several days now. I completely agree with others who have made it that this is an excellent English brown ale recipe. I'll plan to make it again and it will most likely become part of my regular rotation of beers.

I would not, however, say it can legitimately be referred to as a Newcastle clone. It does share many of the flavor characteristics of the commercial brand. This finished beer is much darker and maltier than Newcastle.

Like others have said, I also would prefer to draw a pint of this beer from my tap than to open a bottle of Newcastle. Therefore I see no reason to try to perfect it as a clone. If I want a good English brown on tap I'll make this again. If I want a Newcastle I'll pick up a six-pack at the store.

Cheers!

Anyone use a different yeast in this such as US-05 or S-04?

Also looking for recommendations for hops to sub as I don't have any nugget on hand already. Chinook, Warrior, Cascade, Centennial, Tettnang, Hallertau?

Anyone use a different yeast in this such as US-05 or S-04?

Also looking for recommendations for hops to sub as I don't have any nugget on hand already. Chinook, Warrior, Cascade, Centennial, Tettnang, Hallertau?

I used 04 and fuggle hops. Turned out delicious but sweeter than I prefer.

Just brewed up a batch of this beer a couple of days ago. Pitched s-04 and active fermentation finished up in a day and a half at 64F. I've never had this yeast move so fast. I'm looking forward to seeing how this tastes.

Thanks for the inspiration folks.

Back