Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - New Castle Clone - Accidental

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #61
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I tried the recipe for this using Brewmasters warehouse, It didn't come out very good. On bottling day I only had 1 ounce of corn sugar !!! So I added 3 ounces of cane sugar along with it, unless this was the error, otherwise this beer just don't taste good......I've F*cked up 2 batches in a row now !!! It's time for me to re-evaluate what I'm doing I guess......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #62
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I just saw this thread & thought I would report back, as promised. The original recipe had an OG of 1.048 & FG 1.012. I followed the recipe to the letter and wound up with an OG of 1.046 and FG 1.018. using BIAB. The original recipe did not specify mash times and temps, so I went with a 60 min mash at 154F. Fermented at 64F steady for 2 weeks in primary and then bottled.

This beer came out VERY good. Not sure how closely it imitates Newcastle yet because I haven't done the side-to-side comparison. I think it is a bit bigger in result than NC as it seems to have a bit more lingering maltyness and mouthfeel -- which is fine by me!

Any thoughts on why my FG was higher than the recipe anticipated? Mash temp a touch too high? Should I have gently raised the ferm temp toward the end?

James

Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #63
noobiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I liked this one!

I followed the recipe to the tee. I am going to make it again just prepping my order at LHBS.
I bottled mine and it had good head retention, and was very enjoyable.
I am going to follow my notes and brew this batch the same then tweak it based on the reviews and suggestion here.
Thanks I like when accident work out!!
Cheers. ;-D

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #64
adiochiro3
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I am preparing to brew this again tomorrow as we are down to 2 bottles, and momma does NOT want me to run out of this one. I was just going over the recipe and my notes and noticed a slight alteration: I added an aroma hop (5256) at 5 min for some reason -- probably at the suggestion of my LHBS owner. 0.75 oz of pellet for a 5 gallon batch. This recipe turned out so great, I do not plan on ANY variation from my first attempt -- so in goes the 5256.

James

Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #65
Jarvo_325
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
This was purely accidental. i was attempting an Irish red ale for St. Patty's day and after 4 weeks of cold conditioning I tasted an almost exact replica of New Castle. I did not mean to clone this, but I thought I would share it for the NC lovers out there. I definitely will be making this again.

5# Vienna (cuz that's what I had...)
3 1/2# pale 2-row
1/2# aromatic
1/2# Caramel 80L
1/4# Chocolate

0.5oz Nugget @ 60min

Wyeast London ESB (super clear - love this yeast)

Fermented 10 days @ 65F in my downstairs 1/2 bathroom

Kegged and cold conditioned for 2-3 weeks.

Hey all

Sorry this is going to sounds very Newb but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

When it states batch size, this means the amount being placed into Fermenter right?

And this (5#) mean 5 pounds right?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #66
Jarvo_325
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
This was purely accidental. i was attempting an Irish red ale for St. Patty's day and after 4 weeks of cold conditioning I tasted an almost exact replica of New Castle. I did not mean to clone this, but I thought I would share it for the NC lovers out there. I definitely will be making this again.

5# Vienna (cuz that's what I had...)
3 1/2# pale 2-row
1/2# aromatic
1/2# Caramel 80L
1/4# Chocolate

0.5oz Nugget @ 60min

Wyeast London ESB (super clear - love this yeast)

Fermented 10 days @ 65F in my downstairs 1/2 bathroom

Kegged and cold conditioned for 2-3 weeks.

Hey all

Sorry this is going to sounds very Newb but I just wanted to clarify a few things.

When it states batch size, this means the amount being placed into Fermenter right?

And this (5#) mean 5 pounds right?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #67
jpo183
Recipes 

I am assuming if I want to brew a 1 gallon batch of this I can cut the ingredients down proportionately?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #68
BiloxiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Correct. the # refers to lbs. And yes, batch refers to amount to be fermented.
I have brewed this twice. The first batch was a modification of the recipe by increasing the grain bill by 50% and adding collecting a total of 10 gallons. The first runnings were darker and heavier of course and the second were lighter. First runnings fermented out to about 7% ABV and the second around 4% ABV. Both great beers. The second was a direct copy and was equally good. This is a recipe that I have in my favs list and brew it late summer ready for early fall. Just my preference.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #69
Jarvo_325
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiBrew View Post
Correct. the # refers to lbs. And yes, batch refers to amount to be fermented.
I have brewed this twice. The first batch was a modification of the recipe by increasing the grain bill by 50% and adding collecting a total of 10 gallons. The first runnings were darker and heavier of course and the second were lighter. First runnings fermented out to about 7% ABV and the second around 4% ABV. Both great beers. The second was a direct copy and was equally good. This is a recipe that I have in my favs list and brew it late summer ready for early fall. Just my preference.
Thanks for the info mate.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #70
nathan33
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm going to try this. I will use london 3 yeast. Will brew tomorrow. May add .25 lb torrified wheat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply