Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Mr. Brown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Default All-Grain - Mr. Brown

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP005
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 24.0
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 18.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: See Below

7# Marris Otter
8oz Brown Malt
8oz Crystal 55L
4oz Chocolate Malt (UK)
4oz Flaked Oats (Toasted@300F for 15mins)
2oz Crystal 135L (sold under Dark British Crystal)

1.25oz EKG (5.5%)@FWH
.25oz Willamette (4.5%)@30mins

This beer started as an attempt to brew a brown like my favorite brown to buy, which is Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, and has gone through a few edits along the way. I still can't quite figure out how they give it that awesome hazelnut flavor without adding real hazelnuts.

For the yeast, I've used quite a few, and I like the ringwood the most for what's usually available, I've done it with s-04 and Burton ale as well, but I like 005 the most, I'm planning next time to do it with the Manchester ale, and then Yorkshire after that, when it comes in season.

Tasting Notes:
Aroma: Big Toasty/Bready nose with some coffee and slight earthy hop tones in the background.

Taste: Toasted Nuts, maybe hazlenuts? not as much as the Samuel Smith Nut brown, but it's there. Slight coffee and some carmel, with a slight aftertaste of dark chocolate that melds in with the earthy bitterness of the hops. Mouthfeel is medium, nice and smooth from the oats.

Enjoy.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply