Mr. Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
See Below
7# Marris Otter
8oz Brown Malt
8oz Crystal 55L
4oz Chocolate Malt (UK)
4oz Flaked Oats (Toasted@300F for 15mins)
2oz Crystal 135L (sold under Dark British Crystal)

1.25oz EKG (5.5%)@FWH
.25oz Willamette (4.5%)@30mins

This beer started as an attempt to brew a brown like my favorite brown to buy, which is Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, and has gone through a few edits along the way. I still can't quite figure out how they give it that awesome hazelnut flavor without adding real hazelnuts.

For the yeast, I've used quite a few, and I like the ringwood the most for what's usually available, I've done it with s-04 and Burton ale as well, but I like 005 the most, I'm planning next time to do it with the Manchester ale, and then Yorkshire after that, when it comes in season.

Tasting Notes:
Aroma: Big Toasty/Bready nose with some coffee and slight earthy hop tones in the background.

Taste: Toasted Nuts, maybe hazlenuts? not as much as the Samuel Smith Nut brown, but it's there. Slight coffee and some carmel, with a slight aftertaste of dark chocolate that melds in with the earthy bitterness of the hops. Mouthfeel is medium, nice and smooth from the oats.

Enjoy. :mug:

Back