Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #281
FrozenFloridian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've made this 6 times now and I love it!! Actually, The batch I'm drinking now is the first time I've made it to recipe. My favorite take on Orfy's mild is brewed with a half and half blend of EKG/Fuggles with Windsor yeast. The fruityness of the Windsor goes well with this beer.
Cheers Orfy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #282
BrandonBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just finished drinking my second keg of this brew. I used Willamettes instead of Fuggles due to availability. I carbonated to 1.64 volumes and served at 59°F. It will be difficult to not brew batch after batch of this stuff it's so good.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #283
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Has anyone added small quantities (4-8 oz) of either flaked rye or flaked barely to this recipe with much success? Would using both of these be counter-productive to giving a mild slightly more body? I tried making a mild once using a kit very early on in my brewing experience and it came out tasing very thin. Thus, swmbo wants a mild with more body than my first attempt.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 11-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #284
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Has anyone added small quantities (4-8 oz) of either flaked rye or flaked barely to this recipe with much success? Would using both of these be counter-productive to giving a mild slightly more body? I tried making a mild once using a kit very early on in my brewing experience and it came out tasing very thin. Thus, swmbo wants a mild with more body than my first attempt.
Maybe you could add a bit of maltodextrin?

I am brewing this now (Extract version with specialty grains). I plan on adding a bit of maltodextrin to the boil with 10 mins left. I am only adding a few ounces so I dont think the flavor profile will change that much.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #285
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

just doughed in my first batch of this! im excited!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #286
tdogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
flaked rye would be an interesting addition to this style of beer. a little spice could add a great element. try it and let us know!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #287
tdogg
Recipes 

just pulled a sample from the primary at 9 days. i used S-04 and its already clear. beautiful brown/copper color, slight caramel nutty flavor, great stuff!

Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #288
tdogg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
just pulled a sample from the primary at 9 days. i used S-04 and its already clear. beautiful brown/copper color, slight caramel nutty flavor, great stuff!
first carbonated pint at day 13... WOW!! this keg will go quick!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #289
ThePaganJew
Recipes 

Just brewed my first batch of this on Friday. Came in really close to OG, considering this is only my second all grain batch I'm rather happy about it. The only change I made was using White Labs English Ale yeast. I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for this to be ready.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #290
McboBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default First all-grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaganJew View Post
Just brewed my first batch of this on Friday. Came in really close to OG, considering this is only my second all grain batch I'm rather happy about it. The only change I made was using White Labs English Ale yeast. I can already tell I'm gonna have a hard time waiting for this to be ready.
Hi "ThePaganJew", I decide to brew my first all-grain beer and thought starting with this recipe as I love brown ale styles.
I have brew extract before but even though I’m very VERY new in all this, so I would appreciate your help.
The original post by Orfy(Jan 2008) look really nice as ingredients seams to be easy to find for me (If you know a good web site store, let me know) and I think have the equipment to do all-grain, so, would you help me describing a little more detailed procedure for brewing this one? I’ll really appreciate it, you can send that to me through private message.
Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply