Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #191
cbird01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Yes, that would be the prudent thing to do. I think 7 days seem good in the primary though. The activity has pretty much ceased in there after 5 days. I think I will bottle on late day 6. Does anyone think that I should put it in a secondary if I need to use the yeast cake for another brew on Day 7?

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #192
2-0turbo
Recipes 

Default UPDATE: Tasting...

So, I brewed this on Jan 6, being my first all-grain batch using brew-in a bag technique on the stovetop. I hit 1.040 on my OG and finished out at 1.010. I left it in primary for 3-weeks as I don't like to rush my beers. Hydro samples tasted quite good, very nutty is the best way I could describe it.

I carbed at 2.0 volumes to stay with style and found it took a while to get there. I tested after 2-weeks and it was still quite flat. I keep all my beer at room temp in my apartment, which is a pretty constant 70°F. After 3-weeks it was getting better, the carbonation was better, but it didn't really hit its stride until 4-weeks in the bottle.

Now, it tastes great! It is a "lower" alcohol brew (3.9% by my calculations) and is great session beer. All my friends really like it and comment on how crisp it tastes (although I think it tastes a bit malty). So, a definite hit that I will definitely make again. It will be added to my list of usuals that I want to keep on tap (once I get the keg setup).

So, thanks for the recipe. I really like it...as do my friends!

-Matt

BB Primary 1: O'Flannagains Standard Stout
BB Primary 2: DFH-60 minute clone
BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)
Bottle Conditioning: None
On Hand: DFH-60 minute clone, Light Pilsner (Munton's kit)
Up Next: I dunno...I'm out of fermenters.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #193
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm thinking of doing this as my next batch. I try and label the bottles with the name, brew date and bottle date. I'll have to shorten the name since I just label the caps. Maris Otter and Fuggles... MO-Fuggle should work.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #194
geoffny25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just wondering, others who have brewed this - Are your ABV levels around 3.7%?

Thanks,

Geoff

Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #195
2-0turbo
Recipes 

3.9 for me..

-Matt

BB Primary 1: O'Flannagains Standard Stout
BB Primary 2: DFH-60 minute clone
BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)
Bottle Conditioning: None
On Hand: DFH-60 minute clone, Light Pilsner (Munton's kit)
Up Next: I dunno...I'm out of fermenters.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #196
T2P
Recipes 

Alright folks. I am pretty new to homebrewing (only about 6 batches in) and my brew partner and I have only done extract kits. This will actually be the first one we are putting together ourselves. So here's the deal. I think we have everything down on ingredients with the exception of malt extract and yeast for the 5 gallon extract recipe. So my questions are this.

1) Is the malt in the recipe DME or LME?

2) Would Pale Chocolate Malt work ok instead of the Chocolate malt or should we try another LHBS to get the Chocolate?

3) For liquid Wyeast would the London Ale III (1318) work alright?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #197
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

My hydrometer blew off the side tray on my grill and shattered so no OG or FG. Turned out really water in my opinion, flavor hits nice and roasted and then dissipates and finishes clean as a whistle. I think its pretty good have a pair during lunch and go back to work beer but I wish it was a bit more body and after taste.

But then again its only been in bottles for 1 week and 5 days, going to periodically taste and compare the results.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #198
steakandale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Orfy, I think this is a REAL winner you got here!
My hydrometer sample tastes awesome, I'm just waiting for it to tell me its done.
It's a wonderfull color like rich dark roast coffee.
I can't wait to taste the finished product.

Last edited by steakandale; 04-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #199
T2P
Recipes 

Well it looks as though it was supposed to be LME and not DME. We never got a response here so went with DME because the amounts were typical for what we usually use in extract brewing. After getting the boil done our SG reading was 1.044 not 1.034 as suggested despite filling the remainder of the 6 gallon carboy with distilled water. The result was that yesterday we had a carboy blowout. So for everyone who has asked, my guess is that LME is what the 5 gallon extract kit is supposed to be. Otherwise the SG is not supposed to be 1.034.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #200
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Just tasted my first after three weeks in the bottle. This is very smooth and malty which is exactly what I was wanting. Nice brew. Thanks Orfy.

It's is a little thin on carbonation for me and I did expect a low effect because of the type of brew. I targeted 2 volumes for the priming sugar (demerara). Maybe 3 weeks is a tad early?

Also this was the clearest brew I've ever made. Crystal clear as a result of crash cooling and some gelatin in the last few days. So maybe my yeast count fell in the dirt and priming is just a challenge?

Comments anyone?

Quick Reply