Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - March Brown Mild

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
Donner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

okay, last question, i swear. Am i going crazy or did you switch the hops for this? I would swear it was EKG a few days ago.

EDIT- i also just noticed you changed the amount of pale malt from 5.5 to 6.5 lbs. Was this because of the volume change from 5 to 6 gallons or for another reason?

I am just curious because i ordered my grains at 5.5 lbs of pale malt and want to make sure i am not going to come up too short.

So as not to keep cluttering up the post of what is a great recipe, i'll add my thoughts on to this post.

I don't know what happened. I ordered the 5.5lbs as i said above and with a 60 minute boil i almost boiled off too much wort. I had to add .5 gallon at the 20 minutes remaining mark so that i wouldn't finish with under 5.5 gallons. I think a 75 minute boil would have killed me, but i can see if i had run as much water as you use through i'd probably have had to boiled that long.

I also used some of my galena as the recipe now suggests and i think it will turn out great. I have no doubt in my mind that if the beer comes out tasting bad it has everything to do with me and my inexperience and nothing to do with this fine recipe. Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited by Donner; 04-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #22
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just moved this to the keg after 14 days in primary. Beer is very clear and tastes good, though mine is pretty roasty. I suspect this is because i used 1 lbs of pale malt less than the recipe now says to use. I don't mind, but it is more noticeable than i thought it would be.

All in all a very good beer. I can't wait for it to carb. Thanks flyangler

Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #23
bamadoh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question about this recipe. I am making this tomorrow and my grain bill is similar with only 6 lbs MO and a little less 120 and chocolate. I have a package of Windsor I was hesitant to use due to what I have read her, but some of your comments have made me want to try it out on this style. Since it is a low attenuator, do I need to mash a little lower than 158 to get my FG where it needs to be or should I just aerate well and let her rip after a 158 mash?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think Windsor is a fine choice for this beer without any changes to the mash schedule. Aerate well and pitch!

Brew on!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #25
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was very sad when my keg of this kicked a few weeks ago. I was pouring into a growler to take to a party when it died. A fantastic recipe.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #26
flyangler18
Recipes 

Glad it was a winner for you, Don!

I'm nearly out myself - time to get another batch going.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #27
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Curious if anyone can help me out. I brewed this up 2 weeks ago and just kegged this morning. Only two changes to the original recipe. I used US-05 and my Galena hops were 10.10%AA.

First issue was it only got down to 1.014 from 1.036. Held it at a pretty steady 65-66 degrees the entire two weeks. The sample was quite roasty and overly bitter. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
flyangler18
Recipes 

Hmm, US-05 should have mowed through the available sugars without any issue, even with the higher mash temp. As far as the bitterness, I wonder if clean fermenting nature of US-05 is tricking your palate with this recipe. There's a dry roasty finish with this formulation, so I'd not consider that a 'problem', though.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, didn't really consider the roasty aspect a "problem" and maybe it was the bitterness that just accented that character a little more. The bitterness really has me stumped though. Smelled and looked great. I'll have to try this again with your recommend yeast to see if that was the issue.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #30
flyangler18
Recipes 

I'll admit, I'm a bit puzzled by this as well.

The neutral yeast character is the only thing I can think of, but who knows. 1968 is also an awesome choice for this recipe.

Quick Reply