Alternative Sugar Beer Maple Nut Brown High Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianroberts

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WYeast Scottish ale
Yeast Starter
1 liter with stir plate
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
This beer rocks, all of my friends love it,I know brew it all the time,very good
14 lbs 2 row
1 lb cara munich III
1lb crystal 120
12 ounces special B
8 ounces Briess black prinz or other debittered black
2.4 ounces roasted barley
16 ounces maple syrup added at 10 minutes left in boil
1 teaspoon irish moss at 10 minutes
1.25 ounces nugget 60 minutes
1.00 ounce nugget 30 minutes
Ferment below 70 degrees I make the beer and frement in my unfinished basement at about 64 degrees,make sure and use a blow off tube.
I know this beer doesn't really fit the style,but its a bit of a basterd as far as styles go,it is a really awesome beer, I carb this up to about 2.1 volumes

can you say how much of each flavor you notice? very complex and I'm curious how the maple, nutty, roast, or raisiny from so much C120 and Special B balance

Its really well balanced as far as the flavors go,not to nutty,not to sweet from the C120,but its better after about 3 months.Its an awesome ber I recommend you try it for yourself! You won't be disappointed!....B....

This sounds like a delicious homebrew, What was the mash temp and what kind of yeast did you use? Thank you

Judging by how high the OG is and how low the FG got I would say mash very low. Maybe 148 or so for 90 minutes. If you mash any higher I would think all those crystal malts could make it cloying.

Brewed this yesterday, found this morning the blowoff tube must have gotten clogged and the oneway blew off the carboy. Huge mess, basement smells like maple syrup, and after removing the cap to clean, its foaming out like a starsan snake. We hit the numbers, and it looks and smells good.

My notes say I mashed at 152. Initially had a heavy alcohol taste, but after a month of bottle conditioning, it went away and there was the flavor. Great nut brown, a strong beer, some mild maple came thru the longer it aged. Will be brewing this again.

Took this recipe and made a few changes mostly cause I don't do AG. Used 8 lbs of LME in place of the 2 row and also used 8 ounces of Belgian pale chocolate malt. I think it's more of a maple porter now as its a little too dark to be a brown ale.

OG was 1.093 little more than a week later I'm at 1.026 still bubbling away slowly after 7 days of rather heavy fermentation.

image-313179254.jpg

Is this a 5 gl or 10 batch? That is a lot of grain if it is 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed this beer in 10 gal. batch and used 21lbs. of pilsner and 7 pounds of 2 row instead of all 2 row and what a tasty beer and and the OG still came out at 1.095, great tast can't hardly wait untill its done.

Back