Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - The Kings Nutz Imperial Nut Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
50SuperDeluxe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well it's all finished out and bottled. I ventured a bottle a day or two ago. Carbing up nicely. Pours like a stout with a thick creamy head, mild carbonation at this point a month after bottling. Tastes like a semi sweet brown with a hint of maple and I can tell the oak soak is there. Still a bit boozy but its also >13%abv. Should be great after sitting another few months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #72
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Oh, hey, check it out! I missed these replies. e.e
Glad the "oak soak" worked out for you, 50! I am drinking a 1-year-old Kings Nutz on its bottling birthday. It's still sweet, but not as much as I remember. Not even a touch of boozy smell... the nose is maple, bananas [I brewed this last summer and it very warm for scottish yeast) and chocolate malt. I can corroborate the OP's claim that after a year it is wonderful stuff. It's a good beer to squirrel away and let mature. What a recipe!

Do keep us posted with how your brown monster ages, too, 50super, it sounds great.

Ingredients: None

Old 09-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #73
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I delivered half to ny maple supplier a weekn or so ago with instructions not to drink untilbat least Halloween. Resisted temptation last night. Had a 10 month old Braggtt instead. When I deliverd we also bottked the maple wine which is shaping up into a very smooth sherry thing. Willbpost back around halloween!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #74
Aweaselkid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've read this entire thread, glad to see such positive feedback from many brewers. I am very anxious to give this one a try, and have good reason to occupy an empty fermenter for 8-12 months....

I haven't gone back to find exactly where the discrepancy lies, forgive me if this is an error, pretty tired, but....

I believe the original recipe calls for Liquid Extract as a late addition, however a later post by the original brewer calls for a late addition of DME. Can you, or any one who has brewed this with success, set the record straight here?.. Is the late addition liquid or dry?

Thanks! Besides being patient and aware of fermentation temps, (and all other feedback already mentioned), and advice here would be great. Been brewing for 4 years, a few all-grains, but nothing ever this big. Let me know!

Cheers.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #75
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I didn't read this thread but I was under the impression that they are the same, one is just in liquid form, the other dried?

Though it may be easier to do a late addition of liquid so it doesn't clump up on you like dme would with steaming wort under it.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #76
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Use a yeast starter or make sure you buy enough yeast vials or packs. Dont underpitch. I was told another pack per .015 of gravity over 1.060. Please correct me and educate me if that's in error.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #77
Aweaselkid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Greetings,

I read this full thread back in October (almost 6 months from the time of writing), and followed everything to a T. Primary, then secondary in a Corney Key (which has been working well, as a new fermentation technique).

Bottled 6 weeks ago. Fully intend on letting it sit for another 6 months or so. Did open a few small bottles which were intentionally used as tasters as time went on.

Tasted EXCELLENT, I second everyone's feedback so far….

…. However, minimal carbonation at best. I've been doing this a while, my techniques are pretty thorough, however, am getting a little concerned about the lack of carbonation. I don't expect a final product yet, and as mentioned, am intending on lettings this sit for 6 months or so (until next fall).

Considering what to do here. I could open them and combine them all in a keg and naturally carbonate, let them sit, or am considering making another (very minimal) yeast starter and priming sugar solution, and very carefully opening all bottles, and injecting some life in these…

Any thoughts?

In all honesty, I won't do anything for another month or so, but am thinking about injecting some more carb-goodies, and hope it carbs up. Currently researching options here, but if anyone has any thoughts tailored to a high ABV brew of this style, please, I am all ears.

So far, this really is the Gods' nectar, and spent lots of time and $$$ making this happen. Can't even consider the possibility of ending up with a DELICIOUS flat nectar.

Please brainstorm.

Prost.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #78
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

How much bottling sugar did you use? How warm have the bottles been? You will probably oxidize your beer if you do anything to it now... and one batch of low-carb nectar is better than five gallons of fizzy wet dog.

Ingredients: None

Old 03-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #79
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I drank all mine. Too early to age out. But my Maple sap/ syrup supplier is SO ready to give this another go this year. I will definitely be doing a starter with this. Too big not to. If you are going to give this a go, its not hard to do, and so beneficial. I just did a huge Imperial Porter and it finished in three days! So fast I was scared I was stuck,but apparently on gravity reading, the sugar said, "F It, we'll just turn to booze instead of fighting it!" This is big, ya need it. The Oak soak really rounded this out and I will do that again, for sure, but Halloween will not be the "deadline." May take this up to 10 gallons because my sap supplier doesn't want to spend the $ on propane to boil all his harvest to syrup. This recipe is such a win, take your time and have more patience than me.

Quick Reply