Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - The Kings Nutz Imperial Nut Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
VicariousCynic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just brewed this with the extract recipe. dropped it onto a Yorkshire yeast cake from an all grain English IPA I did with a friend 3 weeks ago. Hit all the temps, the OG came in at 1.084. Will give it 3 weeks around 65, then rack to secondary and forget about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #62
VicariousCynic
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a blow off tube in this - and it still blew the bung out! Cleaned up, got the cork back in and it sounds like I'm on vacation at Yellowstone.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #63
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can someone put up some numbers about how they determined proper carb for this beer especially if you primed for bottling with maple syrup? I've got a huge "waterless" imperial maple brown going and I want to make sure it finishes right. Thank you all!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #64
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50SuperDeluxe View Post
Can someone put up some numbers about how they determined proper carb for this beer especially if you primed for bottling with maple syrup? I've got a huge "waterless" imperial maple brown going and I want to make sure it finishes right. Thank you all!
Well... I'm not sure if this is bang on target for you, but I used 6 weight ounces of maple syrup in the boil, and then pasteurized 4 weight ounces of maple syrup and 2.5 weight ounces of dextrose in 2 cups water to carb. I *believe* maple syrup is 60% solids by weight, and virtually all of them are fermentable... do go ahead and double check that figure though. Using this method I had one bottle-bomb in the whole batch, and I believe that was from a cracked bottle, not over-pressure.

By the way, Super, send me a PM when you're done with your maple brown . When I made this batch it turned out a tetch sweet, and I am curious if that comes from carbing with maple syrup, or if I just under-attenuated through some other way.

Cheers and good luck!

P.S.; "Waterless beer?" I am picturing a hoppy maple-malt candy sheet that looks like brown window glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicariousCynic View Post
I have a blow off tube in this - and it still blew the bung out! Cleaned up, got the cork back in and it sounds like I'm on vacation at Yellowstone.
My airlock whistled for three days when I made this recipe... this was genuinely fun ferment.
Ingredients: None

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #65
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I realized how much I took from his recipe when I re-read all these posts. I used a Scottish ale yeast and it has gone nutz bout 26 hours from pitching Until this morning when I has dropped significantly in intensity. I'll be watching this fern carefully. I've added a little fermaid and may put in more.

Thanks for the input on the priming. I think I'll be in the same area. I know that when I'm going into secondary I'll be tasting for maple and for a need to dry hop for that exact sweetness you mention.

Waterless refers to my base. I got 5 gallons of maple sap from Wisconsin and used that for my partial mash and boil of 4.5 gallons and topping off with the cooled half gallon. All sap was boiled to pasteurize before use.

Cheers!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #66
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don't mention it. I've heard excellent things about brewing with maple sap, so I'm very curious how yours turns out. The effect I get from this beer is a roasty-sweet, hoppy, bitter treat- not something to take with dinner, but certainly a good drink on its own. It's amazing as a base for a float too.

Has anyone had this beer dry out or is it supposed to be on the sweetish end?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #67
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Fermentation finished about 5 days ago. Ive been busy and this is gonna need more aging than that. O.G. Came in at 1.115 after I added .5 lbs by weight of maple syrup at peak of fermentation. I finished at 1.017. According to the Rooftop brew calc. That's 13.1% ABV. In drinking the devils cut from the vial, I'm inclined to believe that. As far as maple goes, there is very little maple but I am getting a nice brown ale once past the alcohol bite at this point, mild in the hops by choice, nutty and I'm comparing to the Moose drool tap I just had at a rock club in Minneapolis (apparently mine is spiked with Vodka). Pretty stoked. Now to let it sit and bulk age for a bit (I'll take suggestions on how long) before I bottle with more maple syrup for that final kick of maple.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #68
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey strangegreenman, I think 1.017 is fairly dry for this. Rock on!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #69
strangegreenman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, sounds more like a brown barleywine at that point! Maybe age it for a year or so, though I am no expert on big beers. I think I under-attenuated mine, since my FG (as recorded in the notes I took 8 months ago) was 1.025-1.030 (kinda... syrupy).

...call me nuts (nutz?) but what would happen if you aged this (or your big brown monster) on oak chips?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #70
50SuperDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looking into it. I have time....

Quick Reply