Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - The Kings Nutz Imperial Nut Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #51
joshrosborne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Can someone who has brewed this tell me if it is on the sweeter or roast-ier side of the brown ale spectrum? I'm looking to add a spirit treatment to it and want to know the base's flavor before I pick out a spirit.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #52
janitorjerm
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Would I still need a starter for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #53
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitorjerm View Post
Would I still need a starter for a 2.5 gallon batch?
Use a calculator like mrmalty to come up with how many cells you need.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #54
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Default in fridge

I just put a bottle of this in my fridge (I brewed the batch back in mid January). This is +/- eight months from brew date, and 3-4 months in bottles (I did an extended secondary).

I figure that I'll crack it open this weekend. Judging from the OP's early posts, it should be quite good, though perhaps not as good as it will become.

For the record, this batch finished at 8.66% ABV.

Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
TX-straggler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Going to do this recipe in all grain. Should I just mash at 154, and sparge at 168-170???
Also, want to make sure the nutty flavor is distinct, was thinking about adding some victory. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Thanks !

Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #56
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I going to try this beer soon. Did anyone use a secondary? If so, how long? Are you guys bottling then aging or just letting it sit in a secondary for 3+ months?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #57
homebrewdad
Recipes 

I did primary for about four weeks, I believe, then secondary for close to four months. I bottle conditioned for 3-4 months before I cracked the first one a couple of weeks ago (~8 months total from brew date to drinking the first one).

Really, really good beer. Great grainy character, just a little sweet nuttiness to it. I fully expect it to get evenbetter with some more age.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #58
imperialist
Recipes 

Default 14 months since brewday

Just tasted one after ~14 months since brew day. Its amazing. This was the second beer I ever made and I did the extract version. It was good for the first few months, a bit sweet for my taste and it was sort of a one note beer with just a single dimension cloying/alcohol/maltiness to it.

Now its a completely different beer. The sweetness has mellowed a lot and the nuttiness has come to the front in an amazing way. I don't remember tasting the nuttiness at all in the first four months after bottling, but the has become a much more complex and well rounded beer. I think I'm going to rebrew this as an all grain soon and see how it compares.

Seriously though, any ideas on how to make this beer as good as it is without the one year+ of aging? There must be something we can do to tweak the recipe, no?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #59
nittanybevo
Recipes 

I brewed this on New Years Eve. I'm really looking forward to it and I hope it turns out well. I am concerned though...my smack pack didn't inflate well, and being NYE, I forgot to make a starter. So, 2 days later, I'm still not bubbling. I also made a slight mistake and added the maple syrup in at 15 mins with the LME, so I added more at the end. I messed up when ordering too...I ordered extra dark dry extract...so mine will probably be a lot darker than it is supposed to. Hopefully it will turn out ok...if my fermentation will start.

1. Should I add some yeast nutrient (I usually only do this for wine)?
2. Should I add another pack of yeast?
2a. Another smackpack of the same?
3. Fermentation temp is about 64*...it's cold in my basement - will the yeast just eventually start going making my fermentation a little longer than 21 days?
4. Should I just RDWHAHB?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #60
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I brewed this back on 12/15... this is only the 4th beer I've brewed, and my first Brown Ale. It's also the first time I've made up a starter as opposed to just rehydrating dry yeast an hour or so before pitching.

I had some pure maple syrup left over from my last camp trip, stuff I had bought from Costco actually, so that's what I used.

The thing was a monster during fermentation... we brewed and fermented at my buddy's house in a corner of his study. The temp in there was ~70.

Within the first few hours the airlock sounded like a typewriter, and a day and a half in it had "volcano'd", blowing the airlock across the room and covering a portion of his wall in foam. There was dried foam on his ceiling as well as on his computer across the room on his desk. Needless to say, I was proud.

The eruption

Ceiling casualty

Although I did secondary fermentations on my previous two batches of beer, I didn't on this one. After a week, I kegged it. Having just restarted brewing as a hobby, I had an empty keg that I needed to fill!

The taste at the time was nice and nutty, if a little sweet. I gassed it up, and even after just another week in the keg (refrigerated), there's already been a nice mellowing of the brew, and he sweetness has been significantly reduced.

It has a nice head at pour and good body and mouth feel. The maple just comes thru, and compliments the nutty/grains character nicely. I served it to a number of people on New year's eve, including my buddy I brew with, and everybody loved it.

Unfortunately I was not able to get a gravity reading, but it feels like it's probably in the 8.5-9% ball park.

This is a great recipe that I'll definitely try again.. perhaps soon so I can let the next batch sit in a secondary for a few months...

-sc

Quick Reply