Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Extract - The Kings Nutz Imperial Nut Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Extract - The Kings Nutz Imperial Nut Brown Ale

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Yeast Starter: 1000mL
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 46.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 21.23 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days @72F
Tasting Notes: This is a great recipe. Very sweet, mapley, nutty, roasty flavor.

This is the only extract recipe of mine that I still do. I've converted all of my old recipes over to all-grain, but this was so good I didn't want to touch it. It's a family favorite, even for non-beer drinkers. I wasn't sure about the yeast since it's an English beer, but it worked out great. Has a slight alcohol warmth, so it's a great winter beer. Alcohol flavor settles out with plenty of age (which this beer needs anyways to hit it's full potential).

Fermentables:
2.25 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
1 lbs. German Light Munich
.5 lbs. American Caramel 40°L
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
.5 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
6.6 lbs. Liquid Light Extract Late Edition

Adjuncts:
.6875 lbs. Maple Syrup boiled <1 min.
1 teaspoons Irish Moss boiled 15 min.

Hops:
1 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 3.5 %AA) boiled 60 min.

Yeast:
WYeast 1728 Scottish Ale 1000ml Starter

Steep grains in 4.8qts of water@154F for 45minutes. Rinse with 3.6qts of 170F water. Add enough water to make 4 gallons. Boil for 60 minutes adding hops and DME at the beginning of boil. Add LME at the last 15 minutes of boil. Add Maple Syrup in the last minute of boil. Cool wort and add water to make 5 gallons. Aerate and Ferment at 72 degrees.

This needs to be aged for awhile before it really hits it's peak. I have so much in my cellar that I'm able to age new batches for 9 months to a year. It's not absolutely necessary to age for that long, but at least a few months will be needed to get rid of the alcohol flavor left over from high fermentation temps. After 3 months = good. After 6 months = great After 1 year = amazing.

Another HERMS rig...

Last edited by Suthrncomfrt1884; 11-20-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Love the name! I've never brewed with maple syrup - I imagine the sugars ferment out but that it leaves a maple flavor?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Yes, at that point in the boil, it will lend a bit of flavor to the final beer. It comes through greatly after 6 months.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
XanderBrew
Recipes 

What do you mean by rinse with 3.6qts? After steeping, move to another kettle with that water at 170deg?

Just learning and trying to understand...sounds like a great recipe and something I would like to try.

Thanks in advance for the lesson!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderBrew View Post
What do you mean by rinse with 3.6qts? After steeping, move to another kettle with that water at 170deg?

Just learning and trying to understand...sounds like a great recipe and something I would like to try.

Thanks in advance for the lesson!
Rinsing in this recipe is basically done as a mini-sparge. Because you're not supposed to squeeze grain bags, what I did here was steep the grains in a bag. Then to rinse all the converted sugars off of the grains, I put the grain bag in a strainer and gently poured 170 degree water over it, into the pot that it was steeping in. You should have a little over 2 gallons of water/wort in your kettle at this point.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
XanderBrew
Recipes 

Thanks, I was reading on DeathBrewers posts how he was doing a partial mash on the stove and he mentions moving his grains to another kettle for X amount of minutes to sparge in of 170deg water, and keep that water to add to the wort, so that was it sounded like, or something similar. Thanks for claryfing, I think I might try it out!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

It's similar, but an actual partial mash will get you more efficiency and a higher gravity. These grains were mostly for color and flavor. They probably only added around 10 points to the gravity. 45 minutes is cutting it somewhat close for a full conversion on grains, especially the munich. Actually, I doubt the Munich converted at all.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Prime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the looks of this. I have a friend coming to visit and brown ales are his go to. I may brew this up for his visit. Thanks for explaining the rinsing.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
78kombi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this sounds excellent, i have done an IPA with orange zest and maple , the maple really lends itself to 'mouthfeel' more than anything.

BrewBus

Old 01-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Mooseknuckle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What happens if you reduce the amount of water for the boil and the "sparge" I don't have a pot that will hold that much, usually after 5 liters ( 4 mash + 1 rinse ) I am about half way up, and once I add my extracts I am within 2 inches from the top of my pot. Would that have a major affect on this beer, because it looks fantastic.

Quick Reply