Originally Posted by tally350z
I know this is an old thread, but I had a question for some who had brewed this brown ale. I hit all of my numbers and after about 3 weeks in primary i took the gravity and it was right at 1.018 and after a taste it was not a honey (sweet) as I would like it. I used 2lbs of Tupelo honey in my process and I was trying to get it a little sweet.
My question is has anyone tried to dissolve some honey when they boil their priming sugar? If so how did it turn out? Did it make it a little sweeter after a few weeks in the bottle.
My understanding is that all/most of the sugars from the honey ferment-out, so it doesn't really add any sweetness to the beer, though you should retain some of the other flavors/properties from the honey as long as you add it in the right point in the boil (I think some argue that you can even add some post-boil...but I can't quite remember).
If you boil honey with the priming sugar you are probably going to end up adding way too much sugar at that point in the process, and have a bunch (more likely - all) of the tops pop off your bottles during bottle conditioning.
Some more experienced recipe-crafters can chime in here, but if you are looking for a 'sweeter' taste, you might want to mess with the grain bill next time through to make it a bit maltier. My recommendation would be to let this one run its course without adding anything this late in the game, see how it turns out when carbonated and chilled, and then take another crack at it with some tweaks once you know what the 'original' tastes like. You may be surprised with the final result!