Gremlyn's Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP023
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
The brown malt comes through in aroma and flavour, as would be expected. Delicious!
Amount Item
10.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) - 74.07 %
1.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) - 11.11 %
1.50 lb Crystal Malt – 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) - 11.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) - 3.70 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (55 min) - 20.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (15 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.40 %] (0 min)
1 item Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 1.5L]

Mash @ 154F using 1 qt/lb water to grain ratio for 60 mins.

I'm only counting the bittering hops in the IBU count. I also use the bittering ratio instead of straight IBUs, and for this beer I aim for 0.55-0.60 GU/BU (again, only the bittering hops). I did this beer grain to glass in 9 days and it came out excellently.

One note: I wanted a more present hop aroma/flavour than I got - I got none with the above recipe, so you might be able to drop the late hops altogether and save some money. Another HBT member has made this since I did the first batch and he doubled the late hops, only to report that the hops still are not very noticeable. I might try a light dry hop on one keg of this next time. I am trying to emulate a beer I had while in England, and the light floral, earthy Kent Goldings hops were so nice in that beer, but in no way over powering.

Lord knows I love a good mild!

What temp did you mash at to get it to 1.009?

I actually didn't quite hit that when I made this. I overshot my OG and acheived the right attenuation, so the ABV was pretty good. I guess I should have added the mash temp, 154F.

Back