Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Fat Squirrel clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #81
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio-alemani View Post
So. I brewed the partial mash recipe and added a 1/2 lb. of 6-row to try to get more diastatic power. I ended with an OG of 1.064. That was 13 days ago. Hydro sample today tasted great - very bitter but I was only at a gravity of 1.026. Even if tomorrow's sample is the same should I bottle or give the carboy a swirl and let it sit another week? I think there is a great balance in the beer now and it's already 5% abv just curious
I don't know! I brewed this recently, and it finished at 1.012. 1.026 seems terribly high, but perhaps the high temperature of the partial mash means more unfermentables. I just would be uncomfortable with considering bottling at 1.026 for this beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #82
giorgio-alemani
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool. I thought I might have unfermentables in there being at 160 for so long. I'll wait it out. Can't hurt right?

Waited it out another 10 days. Final gravity halted at 1.024. Bottled, no explosions yet. Still tasted great so far - lesson learned - control my temps better. I think I'll certainly try this recipe multiple times in the future.

Update: tastes great after carbing up and the bitterness mellowed a bit. I think this could be even better after another month in bottles.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #83
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made 10 gallons this a couple weeks ago with Marris Otter. My LHBS only had 1 packet of Nottingham, so I used Nottingham in 5 Gals. and So4 in the other. The S04 went from grain to glass in 9 days (Force carb'd keg) and the Nottingham
took 2 weeks to fall clear. I had never used Nottingham before and after tasting both, I personally prefer the So4. It tastes Maltier/Sweeter.
I never had the original Fat squirrel, but this recipe looked good. And it is !

Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #84
EODtony
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I tried downloading your beersmith recipe for this and it gives me an error and won't load the file. Is there any chance you could repost it or send it in a PM? I love Fat Squirrel and want to make this.

EODtony
Misawa, Japan

Old 01-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #85
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODtony View Post
I tried downloading your beersmith recipe for this and it gives me an error and won't load the file. Is there any chance you could repost it or send it in a PM? I love Fat Squirrel and want to make this.
The recipe is in the first post- I don't have the old BSM files anymore, after my computer died.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #86
EODtony

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks....was just being lazy and avoiding entering it all in.

EODtony
Misawa, Japan

Old 01-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #87
RoadKing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just clicked the DL for that file, it worked fine.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #88
Deathmetal
Recipes 

Default Urgent help - Noob here.

My over-excited friend purchased everything for this recipe, but has never brewed before, lol!

I've done extracts, but never an all-grain. I don't have the time to do anything but a BIAB with a mashout reheat.

Please help a brother out, and offer suggestions for the following:
-How many approximate gallons of water should I initially use if I don't plan to sparge? (I don't know how much water the grains will absorb, and will boil off).
-Should I drop in some Irish Moss during the last 15mins of boil?

Many thanks in advance. It would be a shame to throw out such a great recipe and selection of grains.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #89
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post
My over-excited friend purchased everything for this recipe, but has never brewed before, lol!

I've done extracts, but never an all-grain. I don't have the time to do anything but a BIAB with a mashout reheat.

-How many approximate gallons of water should I initially use if I don't plan to sparge? (I don't know how much water the grains will absorb, and will boil off).

Many thanks in advance. It would be a shame to throw out such a great recipe and selection of grains.
Grains will generally absorb .125 gallon/pound in the mash.

I have no idea how much you'll boil off. With my system, in the winter I boil off nearly two gallons an hour (I live in a dry climate, relatively, especially in the winter) but in the summer it's more like 1.5 gallons an hour. You'll boil off whatever you normally boil off. That won't change.

You can use Irish moss. I use whirlfloc..

Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #90
Rdom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post

How many gallons really depends on your equipment losses, grain absorption, and boil off. Add these to your total expected volume and you have your starting volume. You can figure out all these variables by doing a few BIAB batches (and taking good notes) but that won't help you foe this batch. You probably already know your boil off and equipment losses from doing your extract batches. There's a BIAB calculator online you can use to get a starting point for your grain absorption. Just Google it. There's also a BIAB Brewing (with pics) sticky on here that I would recommend reading as well. I do smaller batches but I believe 7.5gal is a good starting point for 5 gal batches. Good luck!

Quick Reply